RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rebuilding Client Computer Backups database

HankTheCat

My WD DS5100 died and I received a replacement from Western Digital.

I put the old drives in the new machine and everything seems to be working.  However I’m trying to restore my client backups database and am unsure as how to proceed.  Under D:\ServerFolders I see a Client Computer Backups folder and it has 78 files.  I believe this is the “new” folder that was created when I configured this new server.  I also have a D:\ServerFolders\Data\Client Computer Backups folder that has 201 files.  What do I need to do in order to rebuild the database?

I made a backup copy of the D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups and plan moving the files in D:\ServerFolders\Data\Client Computer Backups to there, and then issue the command to rebuild the database (what is that command btw?).  Is this correct?

Stop the Windows Server Essentials Client Backup service (or similar named), move the files from the D:\ServerFolders\Data\Client Computer Backups folder, to the D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups folder, and then restart the service.  

That's it.  It will pick up the backups, but they will likely show up in the "Archived Computers" section. 

On 10/21/2017 at 1:18 PM, Drashna Jaelre said:

It's not necessary.  You will likely overwrite most of them. 

I did this and it worked.  However I found another directory of client computer backup files.  If I copy these in, what happens?  Will a DB repair figure out what backup they belonged too?  What happens to backup files that aren’t “tracked”?  Will they be deleted?

No, don't copy the files over the existing ones.  They will overwrite data. 

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to "merge" this data, at all. 

The closes that I can get here is to recommend downloading this tool: http://wiki.covecube.com/WhsDbDataDump_2.0

It may be able to dump the backups to VHDx files, if needed.  Otherwise, you should be fine with the backups you now have restored.