RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

Windows 10 FCU

JackoUK

After 2 days and no problems with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I thought I'd report my conversion experiences.

The upgrade was offered immediately on N36, N54 and Gen8 microservers, which in my case are running Windows 10 Pro.

I accepted the 'in place' upgrade on 3 of my 4 machines ... with some trepidation since the last upgrade destroyed my shared folder configurations.

No problems of any sort thus far: only the splash screens for the new features in Edge makes one aware that things have changed.

'In place' with HDD's for the OS drive is .... very slow ... we're talking hours.

The 2nd of my Gen8 machines stalled mid way through upgrade ...but I don't think that was a server or Windows problem: when I reverted to the old OS version disk errors were reported so I suspect the OS disk is on its way out.

After repairing bad blocks I tried a clean reinstall. This is much faster (40 minutes) but one has to reinstall programs and reconfigure. Not a problem since this is only a file server, so only shared folders to reset. I'm glad this happened in one way ... good I think to remind oneself of how to handle a rebuild ... since I could not find the B120i driver file ... or indeed any other HP drivers for the Gen8, which should have been in my machine installation archive. Corrected.

The usual sites were reporting that the new version of Onedrive requires manual installation. Worked fine.

Time to explore the new features then.

I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.

To be fair though the upgrade has worked without problems on LINX 1010 tablets and my old DELL PC, SAMSUNG laptop, so my initial reaction is to give MSFT the thumbs up.

Hope everyone else has good experiences too!

Edited by JackoUK

Trig0r

Got it on my Surface Pro 3, test rig and main machine at home, all have been ok so far.

Drashna Jaelre
On 10/20/2017 at 3:16 AM, JackoUK said:

I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.

I disagree, wholeheartedly.  but I'm coming from a different perspective. 

Specifically, they're reverting to a previous state, really.... Windows 10 didn't come with ReFS support to start with.  Now, it's just going back to that.

However, as for why I disagree here ....  ReFS has a NASTY, NASTY memory leak under some conditions.  Namely, 4kb cluster size (the default it offers for ReFS on Win10, BTW).  And by memory leaks, I mean reports of using 60GB of MEMORY, or causing the system to crash from resource exhaustion.  Etc.  
This seems to not happen (or nowhere nearly as bad) with 64kb clusters, but that's nowhere near as space efficient, which is not as good for consumer OSes. 

I think this is the only good call that Microsoft could have made until they have a proper fix for the memory leak problem that isn't "reformat to 64k clusters and throw as much RAM as you can at the problem".  (no, really, *that* is the solution right now). 

But yes, this sucks, and is frustrating... but so are nasty memory leaks.

However, I do have to say there is one improvement that I am LOVING.   Check the Task Manager. Under the "Proccesses" tab, it shows the GPU usage, as well as which GPU is being used (in the case of multiple GPU systems).  It has already helped me track down an odd issue to my (probably) failing 1050 Ti. :(

Drashna Jaelre

I would too, but file systems are very tricky things.

And as for CPU/cores, yeah, wouldn't be surprised. Considering that this is how the server stuff is managed.... 

But then again, the client side isn't... but it does have a limit on physical CPUs and RAM. 

23 minutes ago, JackoUK said:

I would love to see sources on this.  Not just "rumor had it".