JackoUK

Windows 10 FCU

JackoUK

After 2 days and no problems with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I thought I'd report my conversion experiences.

The upgrade was offered immediately on N36, N54 and Gen8 microservers, which in my case are running Windows 10 Pro.

I accepted the 'in place' upgrade on 3 of my 4 machines ... with some trepidation since the last upgrade destroyed my shared folder configurations.

No problems of any sort thus far: only the splash screens for the new features in Edge makes one aware that things have changed.

'In place' with HDD's for the OS drive is .... very slow ... we're talking hours.

The 2nd of my Gen8 machines stalled mid way through upgrade ...but I don't think that was a server or Windows problem: when I reverted to the old OS version disk errors were reported so I suspect the OS disk is on its way out.

After repairing bad blocks I tried a clean reinstall. This is much faster (40 minutes) but one has to reinstall programs and reconfigure. Not a problem since this is only a file server, so only shared folders to reset. I'm glad this happened in one way ... good I think to remind oneself of how to handle a rebuild ... since I could not find the B120i driver file ... or indeed any other HP drivers for the Gen8, which should have been in my machine installation archive. Corrected.

The usual sites were reporting that the new version of Onedrive requires manual installation. Worked fine.

Time to explore the new features then.

I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.

To be fair though the upgrade has worked without problems on LINX 1010 tablets and my old DELL PC, SAMSUNG laptop, so my initial reaction is to give MSFT the thumbs up.

Hope everyone else has good experiences too!

Edited by JackoUK

Trig0r

Got it on my Surface Pro 3, test rig and main machine at home, all have been ok so far.

Drashna Jaelre
On 10/20/2017 at 3:16 AM, JackoUK said:

I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.

I disagree, wholeheartedly.  but I'm coming from a different perspective. 

Specifically, they're reverting to a previous state, really.... Windows 10 didn't come with ReFS support to start with.  Now, it's just going back to that.

However, as for why I disagree here ....  ReFS has a NASTY, NASTY memory leak under some conditions.  Namely, 4kb cluster size (the default it offers for ReFS on Win10, BTW).  And by memory leaks, I mean reports of using 60GB of MEMORY, or causing the system to crash from resource exhaustion.  Etc.  
This seems to not happen (or nowhere nearly as bad) with 64kb clusters, but that's nowhere near as space efficient, which is not as good for consumer OSes. 

I think this is the only good call that Microsoft could have made until they have a proper fix for the memory leak problem that isn't "reformat to 64k clusters and throw as much RAM as you can at the problem".  (no, really, *that* is the solution right now). 

But yes, this sucks, and is frustrating... but so are nasty memory leaks.

However, I do have to say there is one improvement that I am LOVING.   Check the Task Manager. Under the "Proccesses" tab, it shows the GPU usage, as well as which GPU is being used (in the case of multiple GPU systems).  It has already helped me track down an odd issue to my (probably) failing 1050 Ti. :(

Drashna Jaelre

I would too, but file systems are very tricky things.

And as for CPU/cores, yeah, wouldn't be surprised. Considering that this is how the server stuff is managed.... 

But then again, the client side isn't... but it does have a limit on physical CPUs and RAM. 

23 minutes ago, JackoUK said:

I would love to see sources on this.  Not just "rumor had it". 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jcollison
      By jcollison
      WARNING - I updated my Windows 10 box to 1709 FCU tonight and it would only recognize one of the two Nvidia GTX 1060s that I had in the box. I have not done any troubleshooting, but when I rolled it back, it worked again. There could be issues with this update.
    • Aleksander
      By Aleksander
      Hi guys!
      Trying to configure AlertMail in iLO, but I don't receive a mail. I have installed Debian, need I to configure mail server (postfix) on it?
    • luckyfabian@gmail.com
      By luckyfabian@gmail.com
      Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). I am thinking however to get another Gen8 box but could do with your advice please as following...

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually
      Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.
      Thanks in advance,

Lucky
    • luckyfabian@gmail.com
      By luckyfabian@gmail.com
      Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). 

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually
      Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.
      Thanks in advance,

Lucky
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      By: JohnStutsman

Figure 1 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 on static mat ready for Windows 10 pro x64 install via iLO4

Figure 2 – This shows my Samsung 840 Pro (This will be my OS drive) set up in a single drive RAID0 in the B140i using SSA

After manually installing Windows Server 2016 easily on HPE’s ProLiant ML30 Gen9 I was anxious to see if an install of Window 10 Pro would be just as trouble free. It was!

Besides having Hyper-V capabilities, Windows 10 Pro, is being looked on by many as the basis of a low cost Home Server as illustrated in “Building a Windows 10 Home Server – Anniversary Update Edition”. Check out HPE’s Operating System Support Matrices for insights on the many OS’s that the ML30 Gen9 supports. But, what will work goes beyond what’s officially supported by HPE in the “Matrices”. Windows 10 Pro is not listed in the Matrices but Windows Server 2016 is and Server 2016 shares much of the code with Windows 10 Pro as does Server 2012R2 shares with Windows 8.1 pro and Server 2012 shares with Windows 8. In order to manually load Windows 10 Pro I downloaded drivers for Server 2016. The simplest procedure, for me, is to use SPP to update all the ML30 Gen9 firmware first, then use the drivers for the B140i to load Windows 10 Pro, then after Windows 10 Pro is loaded and updated use HPSUM to load all the relevant drivers and software into Windows 10 Pro.

Like Server 2016, Windows 10 Pro has its own generic drivers that will work with the ML30 Gen9’s NIC and Video so the B140i drivers is all that’s needed to get Windows 10 Pro onto the ML30 Gen9! HPSUM run (with Administrator Privileges) will load all of the missing HPE drivers I need in one step – including the NIC’s, Video, and SSA – just to name a few.

Step-By-Step: Windows 10 Pro on HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

I used iLO4 to remote into the ML30 Gen9 and began to install Windows 10 Pro x64 manually (i.e. without using IP) in the following general steps:

Since I had just recently done steps 1-7 not long ago I skipped to 5 then did 7 through 16 below.
      Download Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) from Hewlett Packard Enterprise Support Center – Drivers & Software – the current version is 2016.10.0 (24 Oct 2016) – check also threads about SPP at HSS Forum MS Gen8 Load the SPP ISO in “virtual drives” in remote desktop of iLO4 Boot the ML30 Gen9 – with no drives in the ML30 Gen9 in my case – and let SPP run automatically and update all firmware – See Figure 3 below. Shut down the ML30 Gen9 Next: I removed the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB that I had loaded Server 2016 on (giving me the flexibility to switch OS’s by switching SSD’s in the ML30 Gen9) and loaded another Samsung 840 Pro 256GB into drive 1 of the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1 Go to the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Support Center – Drivers & Software – and download the file cp028631.exe that is the Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller Driver for 64-bit Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016 Editions (Since Windows 10 has the same core as Server 2016 I plan to use it for manual installation of Windows 10 64-bit Pro in the ML30 Gen9 – the HPE Drivers & Software site does not have Drivers & Software for non-server OS’s) – the current version is 62.12.0.64 (24 Oct 2016) Extract the files in cp028631.exe and load those into a file folder that I then attach/load in “virtual drives” of remote desktop of iLO4 (during Windows install this will be the folder I browse to so that Windows 10 can pull in the driver and see the Samsung 840 Pro ) Load the Windows 10 Pro x64 ISO in “virtual drives” of remote desktop of iLO4 Boot the ML30 Gen9 During boot go into IP (press F10) and select SSA (Smart Storage Administrator) In SSA I set up the Samsung 840 Pro as a single drive RAID0 to be used as my OS drive – See Figure 2 earlier. Exit SSA & IP and Restart the ML30 Gen9 Proceed with the normal Windows 10 Pro x64 install – During install Windows 10 will ask for location of drivers so it can see the drive(s) – in browse lead it to the location to the file folder of B140i driver(s) in the “virtual drives” C: -- if your OS drive had been previously formatted as MBR you will have to delete that so it can be formatted as GPT. See Video 1 below. After Windows 10 is installed and updated – reattach SPP ISO in remote desktop of iLO4 In the Windows desktop go to the SPP ISO in File Explorer and Execute the Batch file for HPSUM (i.e. execute: launch_hpsum.bat as Administrator) – I chose “Localhost Guided Update” – Automatic Mode After running HPSUM (and rebooting) the HPE software shown in Figure 4 below was installed. Enjoy!  

Figure 3 – After running SPP’s ISO the firmware of the ML30 Gen9 is up to date.

Video 1 – Browsing to select the file folder with B14i S2016 drivers during install of Windows 10 Pro on HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

Figure 4 – Software installed by HPSUM in Windows Server 2016

Figure 5 – Temperatures in the ML30 Gen9 via iLO4. BIOS is set on optimal cooling and my single System Fan is running at 6% and the two 40mm fans on the MB994SP-4SB-1 are turned on.

Figure 6 – System information showing Windows 10 Pro as the OS

Figure 7 – Basic information showing Windows Server loaded onto my HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 running from a single SSD RAID0 in bay 1 of the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1

All in all Windows 10 Pro was easy to load onto the HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 providing a relatively cheaper platform (compared to Windows Server 2016) for a home lab for setting up and testing applications in Hyper-V for instance.

In the As-Built that follows I list how this ML10v2 is loaded. Be sure to check out more on this at ML10 and ML10v2 Forum and Windows 10 Pro on HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Forum Thread.

As-Built (I named my Computer: Serenity)
      HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 (Product No. 830893) Xeon E3-1240v5 (SkyLake LGA 1151) 8GB ECC RAM (Expandable to 64GB) OS: Windows 10 Pro B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 1-4: (4*3.5” Drive Tray Caddies for Main Drive-Cage Assembly Bays 1-4) B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 5-6: Icy Dock MB994SP-4SB-1 in Top 5.25” half-height Bay; with/ 2*18” SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables attached to Bays 1 & 2 (Bays 3 & 4 are available for future); Molex to Molex & Fan Y-Connector Cable; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in Bay 1;  

Please join us in the HomeServerShow Forums to discuss this and tell us what you are building at home.

References:

Check HSS Forum Post: Other HSS ML30 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML30

HSS HP ProLiant ML30 Forum postings (In HSS Forum ML10 & ML10v2): http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/

HP MicroServer Gen8 – Service Pack for ProLiant – 24th Oct 2016 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12034-hp-microserver-gen8-service-pack-for-proliant-24th-oct-2016/

iLO Advanced License Keys http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9511-ilo-advanced-license-keys-1850-2400/

Icy Dock “ToughArmor” MB994SP-4SB-1 http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=142

Scsi4me.com 3.5” Drive Tray Caddy 4 HP ProLiant ML350e ML310e SL250s Gen8 Gen9 G9 651314-001 http://www.ebay.com/itm/231001449171

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server QuickSpecs http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04834998&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server “Maintenance and Service Guide”; Part Number: 825545-002; November 2016; Edition: 2 => http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1008556812&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04905980 Or go to => http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=1008556812&ac.admitted=1489520211680.125225703.1851288163#manuals

Check out my HPE ML30 Gen9 Play-List: