RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Helzy

WTB or Trade for the following NAS's

Helzy

I am on the hunt for the following NAS's:

Qnap TS-453S Pro, any of the Synology mini's Ds409slim,Ds411Slim, Ds411slim, Ds414slim and Ds416 slim

PM me or reply here if you have any of these wee beasties for trade/sale!

Thanks!

Helzy

Picked up a Synology DS411Slim so it can be trimmed off the list.

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      still trying to get out from under a situation where my QNAP has been borked

apparently  QNAP NAS'S has been subjected to MALWARE infection

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/security-advisory/nas-201902-13

I still have access to my shares but I cant access most of my apps nor update or install anything

QNAP Tech support responded  and is logged into my machine

This happened after I went ahead and installed firmware update  a week ago 

don't know if I can recover or if I would even trust this box without a full reinitialize

fortunately,  I did a full system backup before the firmware upgrade -  so I have that going for me at least

Something is fishy -  QNAP issued 3 firmware updates during March

So those running QNAP NAS's   take heed

and for you Synology users -    smile, but recheck your security processes !!!

• JROrtiz
      By JROrtiz
      I've been banging my head for a few days now trying to figure this out and I've run out of ideas. Hoping the very intelligent crew here can help me out.

I have a Drobo 5N and a Synology RS816 on my network, both of which have been working without issue for quite some time now. I've always connected to both via Windows Explorer by simply going to the network address i.e., \\N5 and \\SYN (sample names). 

I recently got a new desktop which is where the issues are coming up. When I try to go to \\N5, it results in a message saying it cannot find that location. However, \\SYN works just fine. What's strange is that I can see and manage the Drobo through the Drobo Dashboard software. What could be preventing Windows from seeing the Drobo on the network? 

I've already enabled the SMB 1.x protocol, ensured the workgroup names are the same, rebooted both the machine and the Drobo, made sure network sharing is enabled, and even did a fresh install to ensure that some program I installed didn't cause the issue. Every other machine I have can access the Drobo without issue. It's just this new desktop, and everything is running Windows 10.

Another strange phenomenon that I discovered is that if I go to "\\DROBO" (verbatim, not a sample name) it leads me to the Synology. Where is Windows getting the mapping from that it is directing that address to the Synology?

This is driving me nuts so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Synology C2 Backup Now Available to US Customers

This is a data backup service that Synology released to EU customers last year.  I remember trying to get it to install and it wouldn't take my CC# because of location.  Fair enough, will it now and how much will it cost?

Seriously, how much is it?  Ask Google and on March 25th, 2018 it's $14.12.  That's still not a bad price for 100Gb of backup with versioning. Also not bad to consider this as a secondary cloud backup.  (See below for pricing)

One thing to keep in mine this is a service that falls under Hyper Backup and not Cloud Sync.  The two are very different.  This will be a true back with versioning and not a simple synchronization of a folder in a cloud service like dropbox.  Many a mistake have been made with sync pairs and cloud services!  That won't happen with backup and versions.

Enable it and Back Up

In your Synology DSM go to Hyper Backup. Install if you are not using it.  You would also use this app to backup to USB, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, etc.
      Select Synology C2 Cloud Backup.

That should launch a login portal.  If you have used Synology services before and have a login you can use those credentials or create credentials right here.

Start your free trial for 30 days but prices are still in POUNDS!  That's a pound symbol right?  If it was released to Europe why isn't it in Euros? I'm so confused.    (it is Euro Dave!  I had a brain fart on the Euro symbol.  See response post below.  Embarrassingly laughing at myself on this!)

It's here where it wouldn't let me proceed last time I tried due to it being a limited trial to EU customers only.  You have to put your CC# in to get the 30 day free trial.  It says i'm in the Europe Frankfort market but the purchase went through.  So, does this mean if the US sinks into the Ocean and all my data goes with it, my photos will be in Frankfort safe and sound?  Sweet!

This is the last web screen I see as it has now taken me back to Hyper Backup.

I'm going to choose a small amount to get started with.

I'm also going to limit the bandwidth of the backup and set Client Side encryption.  The encryption password box will allow you to use the Admin account password so you don't forget what you put here unless your Admin password is less than 8 characters.

Once you are finished it will ask you if you want to backup now. I said now just to keep the network clean while I'm working but it will backup tonight.  Look at the screen shot below.  See the little arrow by Synology C2?  That is the link to the web portal.  It would be nice to see Synology integrate this into DSM so there isn't a secondary screen needed.  It would also be nice to have some choice as to where your data is being sent and to be charged a proper amount.  I'm afraid my bank might also charge me a fee for the Pounds to USD conversion.  I'll update the post when I find out.

Here are the web portal screens below.

That's it.  It works!

• Mario P.
      By Mario P.
      I have old WHS v.1 20-bay movie server.
      Few years ago I bought QNAP TS-415+ with 4Tb drives setup in RAID5.
      I really like PLEX on QNAP and started moving/transcoding my movies from WHS to QNAP.
      Well, my 4-bay QNAP is full. 
      I need to get a larger one.

I'm looking at 8-bay ones and just don't think it'll be large enough once I start getting more BD movies, and especially once 4K movies start moving into my home (probably 1-2 years away).
      8-Bay units setup in RAID6 with the largest 12TB drives will be limited to 72TB. I have immediate use for about 30TB -- that's 42% of maximum 8 bay capacity. 
      I don't really need much processing power, but am afraid to run out of space again.
      Also, I don't want to get a power hungry monster (like my 20-bay WHS was) because I want to keep running it 24/7 and electricity was in the order of $28-40 per month.

I like QNAP. I would like to get another one but looking at prices of $3,500-$6,000 for 16-bay unit just seems high -- really high.
      Is QNAP overpriced, or are the components just that good/pricey for what I get. 

Again, I don't need much processing power (no need for VMs, CPU heavy tasks beyond PLEX transcoding), just large space (80+TB).
      What have you or would you do?

P.S. I would prefer Intel CPU if at all possible.

TIA,
      Mario

• Dave
      By Dave
      The DS3018xs: Synology's first 6-bay tower NAS with optional 10GbE and NVMe SATA SSD supports.  The Plus-series DS918+, DS718+, and DS218+: Designed to meet your intensive daily workloads the Value-series DS418: Featuring optimized 4K online transcoding capability

Synology® Inc. announced the official launch of new product lineup featuring:
      ·         DS3018xs: Synology's first 6-bay tower NAS with optional 10GbE and NVMe SATA SSD supports
      ·         Plus-series DS918+, DS718+, and DS218+: Designed to meet your intensive daily workloads
      ·         Value-series DS418: Featuring optimized 4K online transcoding capability
      To allow for ultra-high performance using SSD cache without occupying internal drive bays, DS3018xs features a PCIe slot, which can be installed with a dual M.2 SATA SSD adapter card (M2D17). DS918+ comes with dedicated dual M.2 NVMe slots at the bottom where you can directly install M.2 NVMe SSDs. DS418 features 10-bit H.265 4K video transcoding, and while supporting the next-generation Btrfs file system in DSM 6.2 official, expected to release in early Q1 next year. Btrfs provides reliable data protection through its cutting-edge self-healing and point-in-time snapshot features.
      DS3018xs, Synology's first 6-bay tower NAS, is compact yet powerful as it features the Intel’s advanced Pentium D1508 dual-core 2.2GHz processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with AES-NI encryption engine; offering scalability of RAM up to 32 GB and storage capacity up to 30 drives with two Synology DX1215. In addition to four Gigabit LAN ports, DS3018xs takes advantage of boosting maximum throughput with an optional 10GbE network interface card, delivering stunning performance at over 2,230 MB/s sequential reading and 265,000 sequential read IOPS.
      DS918+ and DS718+ are powered by Intel‘s Celeron® J3455 quad-core processor. DS218+ is powered by Intel’s Celeron® J3355 dual core processor. Both models are equipped with AES-NI hardware encryption engine and support up to two channels of H.265/H.264 4K video transcoding.DS918+’s RAM is scalable up to 8GB, while DS718+ and DS218+ are scalable up to 6 GB, allowing you to operate more intensive tasks at once. DS918+ and DS718+ are equipped with two LAN ports, and their storage capacity can be scaled up to 9 and 7 drives, respectively, with Synology’s DX517 expansion unit.
      "Responding to the demands from our customers, DS3018xs is built as a comprehensive business-ready desktop NAS. Running mission-critical applications or planning virtualization deployment with DS3018xs has never been easier." said Katarina Shao, Product Manager at Synology Inc. "The new DS918+, DS718+, and DS218+ are optimized to be your digital video libraries, and will bring you an excellent viewing experience with high definition live video transcoding, regardless of device limitations."
      DS418 is equipped with a 1.4GHz quad-core processor with hardware encryption engine, 2 GB RAM, and two LAN ports. Powered by the hardware transcoding engine, DS418 supports H.265 4K transcoding allowing it to serve as your media library. Combined with Btrfs and Snapshot supports, DS418 is delivers more efficient data storage and more reliable data protection.
      For more information on DS3018xs, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS3018xs
      For more information on DS918+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS918+
      For more information on DS718+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS718+
      For more information on DS218+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS218+
      For more information on DS418, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/DS418
      Synology at a glance
      Synology creates network-attached storage, IP surveillance solutions, and network equipment that transform the way users manage data, conduct surveillance, and manage networks in the cloud era. By taking full advantage of the latest technologies, Synologyaims to help users centralize data storage and backup, share files on-the-go, implement professional surveillance solutions, and manage networks in reliable and affordable ways. Synology is committed to delivering products with forward-thinking features and the best in class customer services.