RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2.5" 2TB drives for NAS use

Helzy

Morning all,

Seagate is not making any 2.5" Ironwolf drives currently and I was wondering about replacing a batch of four WD Blue 2.5" 5400 RPM drives in a NAS enclosure with these new 2TB Seagate ST2000LM015 drives.  I have multiple WD Red 2.5" wd10jfcx drives, but they top out at 1TB. The Barracudas have a similar pricepoint for the 2TB model. Wondering if anyone has tried them or can point to a review of them in NAS use as my google-fu seems to be escaping me at them moment.

Thanks!

Morning all,

Seagate is not making any 2.5" Ironwolf drives currently and I was wondering about replacing a batch of four WD Blue 2.5" 5400 RPM drives in a NAS enclosure with these new 2TB Seagate ST2000LM015 drives.  I have multiple WD Red 2.5" wd10jfcx drives, but they top out at 1TB. The Barracudas have a similar pricepoint for the 2TB model. Wondering if anyone has tried them or can point to a review of them in NAS use as my google-fu seems to be escaping me at them moment.

Thanks!
What NAS enclosure is it? Are you running RAID on it?

Several NAS'es with tired drives and yup 10 or 6. Yes I am a storage pig. By the by I will be advertising several devices soon but for the sake of this conversation a Qnap SS-839 pro

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107029

I have 2 of them currently. 1 is populated with 8x 1TB WD Red's and the other which I have taken out of service for drive upgrades is using WD Scorpio Blues in the 1TB and 500GB sizes

EDIT:

By the by, while I am thinking about it, I am on the hunt for the following NAS's:

Qnap TS-453S Pro, any of the Synology mini's Ds409slim,Ds411Slim, Ds411slim, Ds414slim and Ds416 slim

Edited by Helzy
adding a wishlist

If I am not mistaken, the QNAP 2.5" drive models can only take 9.5MM thick drives or thinner. I think some of the Synology 2.5" drive models can take up to a 12.5MM drive. The current state of 2.5" drives, 2TB is the largest 9.5MM drives.

If any of these units can handle 15MM 2.5" drives your options open up, Seagate and Toshiba have good 3TB 15MM drives. Seagate has a 4TB 15MM drive, but the write performance is not great. My understanding is they were DVR drives for Tivo and others. Seagate did release a 5TB 15MM that is a good drive.

Yup these scorpios were the first gen of blue scorpios and are 12.5mm the 839 can house 8 of them and stay nice and cool. I was particularly curious about the new 2TB Barracudas at 7mm. Just wondering about vibration etc and RIAD performance i.e do they drop out of RAID arrays like the WD green drives etc.

https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/barracuda-fam/barracuda-new/files/barracuda-2-5-ds1907-1-1609us.pdf