RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Saves the Day for a Teacher

fbrito

Just wanted to write some good news about WHS. I have had a self made WHS since February with a Wolfdale Core 2 cpu and 2gb of ddr2 ram, 1-1tb WDEARS and 1-2tb WDEARS. I have mostly used it for holding alittle over 1 TB of media, but was able to use it's back up feature for the first time this past weekend.

My wife is a teacher and is issued a laptop by the school district. When I made the server this past February, I connect her computer to the server and would tell her to leave it on overnight so that it could back up when ever the WHS notification would tell me she had not backed up in a while.

About 3 weeks ago, her laptop's hard drive died. Unfortunately for her, she had not backed up since Halloween. Once the school replaced the hard drive, I for the first time had the opportunity to test out WHS back up features. I downloaded a document from microsoft on how to do it, burned an ISO, connect her laptop via gigabit to our network, and had her back and running as if it was Halloween in less than one hour. It was really easy, simple, and painless and she was happy to have all her lesson plans from over 5 years of teaching available.

She will now be leaving her laptop on more often to avoid losing 1 month of work :)

I am dissapointed like everyone about drive extender being gone in Vail, and no significant Media Center Support, but at it's core, HomeServer's back up feature is fantastic and works exactly the way it should.

I'll likely turn my current Core i3 desktop into a new WHS Vail when that is available. Thank you to the folks that run this site and the podcast. I enjoy listening to the show every week and browsing the forums every once in a while.

Fernando

I like hearing about these success stories! :)

What Microsoft document (download) were you referring to? Can you post a link? Thanks!

Home Server Techinical Brief

I wasn't sure how to do it at first since I had never done it before. This website should have a "101" to figure this stuff out. I actually came here first, poked around a bit, then gave google a shot and found the above document.

One thing that I did mess up on at first was that I just used explorer to copy the restore cd files to the media. That did not work so then I used ImgBurn and it worked as I could set it to burn an ISO.

Just wanted to write some good news about WHS. I have had a self made WHS since February with a Wolfdale Core 2 cpu and 2gb of ddr2 ram, 1-1tb WDEARS and 1-2tb WDEARS. I have mostly used it for holding alittle over 1 TB of media, but was able to use it's back up feature for the first time this past weekend.

My wife is a teacher and is issued a laptop by the school district. When I made the server this past February, I connect her computer to the server and would tell her to leave it on overnight so that it could back up when ever the WHS notification would tell me she had not backed up in a while.

About 3 weeks ago, her laptop's hard drive died. Unfortunately for her, she had not backed up since Halloween. Once the school replaced the hard drive, I for the first time had the opportunity to test out WHS back up features. I downloaded a document from microsoft on how to do it, burned an ISO, connect her laptop via gigabit to our network, and had her back and running as if it was Halloween in less than one hour. It was really easy, simple, and painless and she was happy to have all her lesson plans from over 5 years of teaching available.

She will now be leaving her laptop on more often to avoid losing 1 month of work :)

I am dissapointed like everyone about drive extender being gone in Vail, and no significant Media Center Support, but at it's core, HomeServer's back up feature is fantastic and works exactly the way it should.

I'll likely turn my current Core i3 desktop into a new WHS Vail when that is available. Thank you to the folks that run this site and the podcast. I enjoy listening to the show every week and browsing the forums every once in a while.

Fernando

Great story and we are glad you where able to save most of her work. WHS is a wonderful product that is under appreciated for it backup power.