RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 FWBC battery

dikkiedirk

Looks like the battery for the cache module on my P222 is dead. I see a message in SSA that it is charging but it shouldn't take a day, or does it?

Is there a not overly expensive source for such a battery? Is there a way to check it it is dead? Are they LI-ion batteries? Prices here in Netherlands are in the range of 80-150 Euros, but this seems rather steep.

BTW, is the charging circuitry on the FWBC module where the battery is attached? What are the risks when running without backup battery?

To my best knowledge, this isn't a battery but a capacitor. I got mine from eBay for $22, but I'm in the US.

By default, the write cache will be disabled when the "battery" is dead or missing. You can override the setting, though. And if you plug your server onto an UPS, I don't think missing a battery will matter too much for the RAID card.

Edited by Raiden
  • Like 1

The flash in the Flash Backed Write Cache (I believe thats what it stands for, some may say based for the B) is used only when the power is lost, the cache RAM is copied to flash using the power reserve of the super-capacitors, so does not have a battery.

The Battery Backed Write Cache holds the contents of the DRAM in place until such time as there is no power left in the battery.

You may want to confirm which you have in your system.

I have a 512MB cache module with a capacitor pack attached with a rather long cable. Is there a way to check whether the cache module or the capacitor pack is broken? The Microserver shows a amber flashing light. Does this always happen when something is bad on the array, controller, cachemodule or capacitor?