RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS(motherboard) does not boot

stalni

Hi homeservershow forum readers:)

I am setting up a whs after a series of hardware failures and errors(see Hardware Interrupts - consuming one core(dual core AMD system) and System drive failure!! :( ).

so my problem is that I have my server running with 10 drives in it and they are connected 6 to my sb750 and 4 to a delock 4 port pci 2 sata controller based on a silicon image 3114. what happens is when I add hdd to my addin controller card the bios no longer starts to boot of the drive whs server is installed. It worked before but I had the sb750(southbridge) set up in native ide mode, now it is set up in ahci mode.

I have tried all configurations in the bios I can think of(setting the hdd as first, second or third boot device and set the hdd boot order to all posible configerations) and thought I would ask here.

My configuration is:

DFI Lanparty JR-790GX-M2RS

athlon 64 x2 5000+(2,6 GHz) running at 1,8 GHz with one pin broken(no adverse effects found)

Corsair value OEM pc2-6400 1GB x 4(fully populated board)

10 HDD

3x samsung

7 x western digital

my system drive is a western digital 5002ABYS(500 GB RE2)

I have installed whs x:/files edition, though this seems like a bios hand off issue as it just does not continue the boot process after bios backup.

I am not interested in changing to native ide mode as I would like the hot swap and NCQ ability that AHCI provides.

Hi homeservershow forum readers:)

I am setting up a whs after a series of hardware failures and errors(see Hardware Interrupts - consuming one core(dual core AMD system) and System drive failure!! :( ).

so my problem is that I have my server running with 10 drives in it and they are connected 6 to my sb750 and 4 to a delock 4 port pci 2 sata controller based on a silicon image 3114. what happens is when I add hdd to my addin controller card the bios no longer starts to boot of the drive whs server is installed. It worked before but I had the sb750(southbridge) set up in native ide mode, now it is set up in ahci mode.

I have tried all configurations in the bios I can think of(setting the hdd as first, second or third boot device and set the hdd boot order to all posible configerations) and thought I would ask here.

My configuration is:

DFI Lanparty JR-790GX-M2RS

athlon 64 x2 5000+(2,6 GHz) running at 1,8 GHz with one pin broken(no adverse effects found)

Corsair value OEM pc2-6400 1GB x 4(fully populated board)

10 HDD

3x samsung

7 x western digital

my system drive is a western digital 5002ABYS(500 GB RE2)

I have installed whs x:/files edition, though this seems like a bios hand off issue as it just does not continue the boot process after bios backup.

I am not interested in changing to native ide mode as I would like the hot swap and NCQ ability that AHCI provides.

Stalni,

The first issue is WHS does not support AHCI nor does it support hot swap as all of that goes against what the drive extender does. In all probability it will not boot because of AHCI. If it works with IDE, then I would leave it as running AHCI would lead you into a whole new set of problems especially with DE. You really should stick with the core capabilities and standard configuration of WHS as this will save you tons of problems. Save AHCI for windows 7 or Vail but not WHS.

Guest no-control

Short answer = Sorry but AHCI is not supported in WHS, switch to IDE

Long answer = see Doc's post

OK, thank you for your response then.

I will switch to native ide mode then.

just to check, you do understand that it boots(I installed the driver under the installation) with ahci enabled but only when I NO hdd are attached to the addin controller.

and do you know of a fairly easy why to make the change?(have not searched google yet)

pcdoc, about the whole hot swap thing

WHS does detect the drive, and as far as I can see I have no problems using the drive without powering down the server, I just have to remove the drive from the storage pool first before online removal.

And thank you for a great BYOB podcast.

Edited by stalni

During POST you should see an error if you have issues with memory, video, or any RAID configurations if applicable.