RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver Gen8 + Ubuntu server 16 lts ?

Moreplavec

I plan to buy this Gen8 microserver (last units in local store) but i need to know if it's fine to run it with Ubuntu server 16 LTS. I tried to Google some tips or steps just to make sure there are no problems, but i haven't found anything. Strange, i always find tons about Ubuntu + every topic, but Ubuntu 16 + Gen8... nothing. So, is there any problem? I found some stuff about Ubuntu 14 LTS, but much more about CentOS. So, CentOS is just prefered or only one usable?  My point about Ubuntu 16LTS is that i already have the same on VPS so i can transfer settings and all i got used to. Thanks for answer.

I'm reading about Gen8 few days before i buy, so if you have some usefull links must-read-before-buying, please, let me know too.

Moreplavec

There's built-in raid in Gen-8. Actually it's not a hardware raid, it's a software raid from HP which requires OS-specific proprietary kernel driver. The only thing that's good about it is that fans run a bit slower in that raid mode, so server is a bit more silent (it's not like it very loud without it, I could hardly tell difference at night).

HP provided drivers for Windows, VMWare ESXi, Ubuntu 12.04 and RHEL (except latest 7.4). So if you want to use this raid with Linux, you're basically stuck with CentOS 7.3.

Of course you can just use AHCI mode and any Linux will work just fine including Ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks for answer, i will use AHCI and avoid any problems. Or is there any major disadvantage to use AHCI, i mean in speed or something? I can create sw RAID and should be work just fine.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
    • GoHerdIBG
      By GoHerdIBG
      I also posted this on the HPE forums.

Just bought my first HP Microserver and got a decent deal on a Gen10 x3421.  I am using a USB key to try and install either CentOS or RHEL 7 on it and neither install sees any of the disks in the front slots.  I am using 1TB WD Caviar Green drives.  I have also tried a Seagate drive but nothing seems to work.

I have gone back and forth between EUFI and Legacy hoping that would help.  Nothing.

I am currently installing on a 500B USB drive and hope to see if the drives are visible when I fully boot.

I also looked through the drivers and firmware and did not see anything directly related to my problem.  I was going to download the SPP but couldn't igure out how to register my system manually to allow me to download the SPP.

Am I missing anything obvious or does the system not yet support RHEL 7 or CentOS 7?

Thanks for any information.

• Dave
      By Dave
      Rachio has just announced version 3 of their popular sprinkler system controller.  Rachio's generation 2 hardware was such an improvement on their first controller it may be hard to top.  Gen 3 looks great and has new hardware to go with it.  First Look video below!

Rachio's approach to irrigation hardware has been pretty straightforward. 

Replace your existing irrigation controller, water smarter,  take advantage of mobile to control it. 

What they have done over the past 2 iterations is make it easier to do all three.  Generation 2's hardware simplified the install immensely and the Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller looks to do the same as well as  offering more options for the homeowner.  So how do you improve on an already great controller?

Increase the smarts with enhanced weather data
      Add a 5Ghz radio along with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi
      Add long range communication for add on devices

Let's just jump to the new devices.  Rachio is announcing an add on flow meter called the Rachio Wireless Flow Meter.  It will sense water flow and shut down water supply if it detects a leak.

This is an interesting addition to the product because it moves Rachio from a true DIY product to on that may need help from a professional.  If you know your sprinkler system you know you have a back flow valve somewhere on your property.  It is usually above ground and the Flow Meter can install in-line, after the backflow valve.  Rachio has tips and guidance on the install if you would like to attempt it yourself but it may be prudent to involve your irrigation pro if you don't already have the tools to perform this type of work.

The "smarts" surrounding Rachio 3 cannot be overlooked.  Their new weather intelligence is impressive.  You can gain insight on weather data within a 36 foot radius of the Rachio 3 controller.  Thirty Six Feet!  

Rachio 3 ships April 2018 and can be pre-ordered today at http://www.rachio.com  Rachio Flow ships May 2018.  Pre-Sale pricing is $279 for the 8 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  $329 for the 16 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  Outdoor enclosures are still $29.

Flow Install Guidance - https://www.rachio.com/pdf/flow-install-overview_final.pdf

• lordcroci
      By lordcroci
      Hi there!
      I'm new around here, looked for the presentation thread but haven't found any! 
      Anyway I hope to be able to contribute (as far as my newbie's knowledge will be useful )....

Speaking about what I'm trying to do, I have this amazing microserver gen8, on which I have 2 3tb wd red as storage and an ocz 125gb ssd on 5° port.. Installed a couple of days ago mr. PROXMOX (I'm a complete newbie to it too ) and configured the xpenology 6.0 that runs amazingly!
      Now.. I'm just wondering which is the best option to configure a vpn (possibily openvpn) and from my inexperience I found a couple of options:
      - try a container with turnkey debian 8 OpenVPN
      - install ubuntu on a VM and setup openvpn
      - try the vpn server on xpenology

or the least pleasurable
      - install openvpn on my windows 10 pc and leave it turned on in way to access the microserver through vpn.. 
      What do you think is better to do? Considering that I am a real noob and will need some guide or some tutorial (already googled something and Have found a lot of material on the openvpn site.. but honestly can't find so much about proxmox and vpn)

PS: sorry for my english, but I'm italian and I'm still learning!

thanks a lot!
      Lordcroci