Dave

Logitech Harmony Smart Control - $79

Jason

Am still using a Harmony One with touchscreen. Basically to turn TV on/off. Nothing fancy. Does Harmony Smart Control add any life-changing functionality?

GavinCampbell
16 hours ago, Jason said:

Am still using a Harmony One with touchscreen. Basically to turn TV on/off. Nothing fancy. Does Harmony Smart Control add any life-changing functionality? emoji28.png

I have the harmony one and this one (as well as a few others) and the one thing I do like is that I no longer have to hold the remote at the tv while it executes its actions.  I can even remote the setup while in the kitchen without having to point the remote at the tv.

The wife was always moving it away too fast while it started things up and adjusted inputs.  Same with turning off the setup.  This left devices in a messed up state.

In your case you have a very basic sounding setup so this wouldn't really help any.

I do however have it tied into homekit using homebridge so when I wake up or doing whatever I can just ask siri to turn on the tv and she will start it up to my preferred channel without any fuss. 

Jason

Went ahead and picked one up. The simplicity of RF for consistently turning on/off activities, alone, was worth $79 in our house. Relying on IR was a headache. The Alexa voice activation is a nice novelty. Good suggestion.

Jason

So far works great for turning TV on and off or increasing/decreasing amp volume in small increments. Anything else, like changing channels has proven a bit problematic.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

How does it control the devices. It mentions the hub uses rf but most devices use ir.

GavinCampbell
2 minutes ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

How does it control the devices. It mentions the hub uses rf but most devices use ir.

It uses RF from the remote to the hub.  The hub then shoots out IR signals to your devices.

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It uses RF from the remote to the hub.  The hub then shoots out IR signals to your devices.

Doesn't the ir have to be line of site?

GavinCampbell
1 minute ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:
4 minutes ago, GavinCampbell said:

Doesn't the ir have to be line of site?

I don't know how it does it but it works well.  My hub is actually sitting on top of my tv behind a speaker and it still turns on my TV.  I have a second hub in the bedroom sitting under the tv also not in its LOS and it still is able to control it.

I think it shoots out beams all around and bounces them some how.  I can't explain it, but it works.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I don't know how it does it but it works well.  My hub is actually sitting on top of my tv behind a speaker and it still turns on my TV.  I have a second hub in the bedroom sitting under the tv also not in its LOS and it still is able to control it.

I think it shoots out beams all around and bounces them some how.  I can't explain it, but it works.

Cool, thanks for the info.