Sign in to follow this  
StuMcBill

Not sure if I’m on the right track....

StuMcBill

Ok, so I’m a total newbie to servers so trying to find my way along.

I’ve got my Proliant server, I’ve connected the VGA to my tv, Ethernet to my network, usb mouse and keyboard connected to the rear USB ports.

I do not have any HDD’s connected at the moment.

I wanted to boot it up, go into settings and set to boot from USB so I could install FreeNAS from the front USB ports, but have it running from USB, not HDD.

I see the POST screen on my tv, and I’ve tried pushing F9 (setup), but my screen soon goes blank and the server beeps twice.

Do I need hard drives connected to progress, or am I pushing the wrong button to go into setup?

If anyone has any guidance, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

Stewart

StuMcBill

I just watched the stickied getting started videos, i think I need to install the hard drives, the hit F11 as its booting and select usb? Is this correct?

schoondoggy
6 hours ago, StuMcBill said:

Ok, so I’m a total newbie to servers so trying to find my way along.

I’ve got my Proliant server, I’ve connected the VGA to my tv, Ethernet to my network, usb mouse and keyboard connected to the rear USB ports.

I do not have any HDD’s connected at the moment.

I wanted to boot it up, go into settings and set to boot from USB so I could install FreeNAS from the front USB ports, but have it running from USB, not HDD.

I see the POST screen on my tv, and I’ve tried pushing F9 (setup), but my screen soon goes blank and the server beeps twice.

Do I need hard drives connected to progress, or am I pushing the wrong button to go into setup?

If anyone has any guidance, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
Stewart

You will need two USB drives, one bootable with the ISO on it and one as the install target. Both  should be in USB2 ports as the USB3 ports are not available at boot. Are you following the procedure starting at 1.4.2?

http://doc.freenas.org/11/intro.html#the-operating-system-device

You should be able to get to setup with no drives. When you are ready to add drives you need to change the disk controller from the B120i RAID to AHCI.