RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Midwest Blizzard

cskenney

Just curious who all is affected by the snow / blizzard here in the Midwest. I know Dave is getting blowing snow since he lives not too far from me. MysticGeek is from Minnesota so I am sure he is doing some digging out. Anybody else getting hit by this storm?

For what it's worth, the snowfall total has been pretty light here. The wind is pretty bad today but I am protected by woods to the west of my house. I know some E-W roads are getting down to 1 lane but the bigger problem is visibility with the blowing snow. I did just hear that the county plows were stopping plowing about 5pm and wouldn't resume until 3am. Not good news for my wife who works until 7:30pm and has to try and get home. She slept at work last night so she wouldn't have to be out on the roads early this morning.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• cskenney

• jam3ohio

• britishbob

We didn't get more than a couple inches of snow I think, but it was after getting rain and freezing rain, so there's ice under it. I haven't tried to go anywhere all weekend, so I think my car is going to be an ice cube tomorrow - it looked like it had a layer of ice over the windows yesterday before the snow started. I think it had been blowing a lot today, every so often I hear chunks of ice and snow hitting the house. My tree kept attacking me with them when I was shoveling snow too. I have seen a bit of traffic around, so the roads are probably in pretty good shape by now. The plows do run down my street fairly often though, so that helps.

Here in the Atlanta area we got enough to fill up an entire table spoon. It is pretty cold though. Low tonight around 14 with a pretty good wind. Glad I changed the battery in my 4Runner today or else it wouldn't be starting in the morning.

Not much snow here, but then again we did have a high of 82 today. Had to break out the shorts again.

Man, I wish I were in So Cal myself! Got stuck in Cleveland. I had to fly in from Chicago to visit my Dad, who is in the hospital, and Continental cancelled all flights between Cleveland and Chicago until Wednesday. I am on a United flight back on TUE morning.

I hate this weather!

Jim

• 1 month later...

Reviving the blizzard thread! I just snowplowed the drive and it was crazy. I wish I would have taken my phone with me to do some live coverage! I already had a huge pile of snow at the end of my drive but it's gargantuan now. My 4x4 Jeep Cherokee had trouble pushing through it. It was fun though!

Anybody stuck at home today? Milwaukee, how was that lake effect?

Yeah, I am stuck at home (but still working though). They took the plows off the roads last night for a while so most businesses are closed today until they clean the roads. I have not been out yet but there are some 3-4 foot drifts in my driveway. I-39 from Rockford, IL to Bloomington, IL is currently closed to all traffic until they can get it cleaned up and safe again. There were cars abandoned in the city of Rockford in the streets that they are having to tow before they can plow. To me it's just another day in the Midwest with a little wind.

Not looking forward to the temperature drop tonight. -10°F without the wind is bad enough!

Yep. I'm home, too. Work was canceled late last night. Whoo hoo!

I've always liked riding around in a 4-wheel drive, especially when no one else was on the road. Kinda fun to have the streets all to myself. It's not snowing that hard at the moment here in southern Maine but we expect it to pick up before the morning's over

The snow is up to my knees in my driveway, though it looks like the city has done a pretty good job plowing. Official word is 13" here, but with all the wind, it drifted like crazy. Apparently they don't know how to close the office, so I'm supposed to work from home. Every other business does seem to be closed however, so I can't figure out what their problem is.