TheFreaker86

RemoteWebAccess DynDNS error

TheFreaker86

Hallo!

I am new here. I am a little desperate because despite the fact my job is IT I don't get it to work. My homeserver is running Server 2012 R2 Essentials and because somehow the AD and file shares did not work properly anymore I decided to reinstall the OS from scratch. After reinstallation I reconfigured anywhere access and reobtained my remotewebaccess.com-subdomain which worked fine except for the the remotedesktopgateway did not get the certificate properly which I fixed with this guide here. This step was not necessary when I installed the OS some years ago for the first time.

Up until the first forced reconnect from my ISP the IP-adress of my router matched with the one in the DNS-record. But after that it did not refresh anymore. The error message in the Dashboard says (I hope this matches the english version of the message): The dynamic DNS information cannot be updated. Details to this message says furthermore: The DNS-information cannot be updated because no connection to the domain name provider can not be established. Contact your domain name provider. And after the lifespan of the DNS-record expires additionally the error message appears that the domain name can not be resolved...Unsurprisingly.

The weird thing is that DynDNS for AnywhereAccess/RemoteWebAccess has never been an issue with the old and now overwritten OS installation. In desparation I made a bare metal recovery from the old OS installation to check the behaviour of DynDNS which worked still just fine. A second WS2012R2E-installation inside a VM was a bit contradictory. The original remotewebaccess.com-domain could not be reinstated but a new one registered. Though I haven't checked if the new domain can update the DNS-record.

Now with the once again reinstalled OS DynDNS acts as described above. Port forwarding (Port 443) on my router has been set up for testing purposes both via UPnP and after that manually. Didn't matter before reinstallation because it worked both ways. I deliberately left out Port 80 for security reasons.

I have searched through the eventlog and the Internet, to no avail. The only remotely useful hint was to change the Windows Live-password had no effect. And the Eventlog is so overwhelmingly packed with events of any kind :blink: I also ran several times the repair wizard from the Dashboard with always the same error. I even was unable to release my subdomain through the configuration wizard.

I can imagine that the public certificate from GoDaddy needs to be imported somewhere for authentication to make DNS-record updates possible. But that would make the Windows Live-login obsolete.

Has someone any advice how I can get the DynDNS-service back up running? Or where I have to search for more detailed hints for the cause? I have already considered that it is not a "broken service" of the OS but rather an external issue beyond my control (which suggests the error message). But that contradicts the fact that the recovered installation was able to update the external DNS-record. If the cause is really external who is the correct contact? GoDaddy or Microsoft?

Edit: Maybe do I miss some windows updates or update rollups that do not come through Windows Update? I have updated the OS only via the OS-internal Windows Update function and right after installation some with wsusoffline.

Edited by TheFreaker86
forgot something to mention

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Vadito
      By Vadito
      For years I have been able to remotely view and connect cameras at my elderly parent’s home.  I used the dyndns.org service and various ports to be able to view cameras around the home.  But recently their ISP “upgraded” to CGN, Carrier Grade NAT and dual stack.  From that moment, the dyndns service has not been working.  I loaded the dyndns client program on a computer at their home, and even with it running, the result is the same, no connection any camera.   I under the concept of the large private network the provider is using and that the cameras have to go through it.  I guess my question is how to I get there?  Is there a service that is designed to forward through a CGN?   Thanks for any help or advice.    

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

At my home office i have a HP Microserver N40L and i use “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials”.

On the past i had some initial configuration and instability problems with Anywhere Access + VPN, but somehow i finally have them working properly and stable for the last months. 

But last week i needed to format the server and install a brand new and clean “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials”.

I have made the installation, then made all the updates, then i have added some roles and features and then i went to setup Anywhere Access + VPN and it’s giving me 2 errors (one saying that i have port 80 and 443 blocked and other saying i have more than one router on my network).

Both errors do not exist, because besides manual confirmation that ports are open, no network configuration was changed since last week. And if all was working in the past, now all should also work.

I have already try to turn all off and then try again to run the Anywhere Access + VPN repair wizard and the errors are still the same.

I have already pass too many hours trying to identify what is wrong… and i can’t wait to much longer.

So i have 2 requests to make to anyone reading this:

1- If anyone has any idea of what is the problema, and wants to share the advice, great! Please do.

2- I’m willing to hire and pay to an expert to remote login my server and solve the problem. I can provide remote access and be your remote eyes so you can see all the network setup. If you can do this, please reply to this thread with your email or send me a PM.

---------

My network setup is as follows:

ISP Router (in bridge mode) > Router TP-Link ER-5120 > Smart Switch TP-Link TL-SG108E

Then Smart Switch then connects:

- Port 1 to Router
      - Port 2 to Access Point TP Link TL-WA901ND (with QVLAN enable for private and public wifi networks)
      - Port 4 to Unmanaged Switch TP-Link TL-SG1016

Then the Unmanaged Switch connects to my server and my home office computers.

--------

Thanks

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

I’m setting up my small office network and on my server I will use the “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials” and I will want to enable and use the “Anywhere Access” and “VPN” build in features to have remote access to my server from outside.

Regarding this, my router uses as factory default the port 80 to access the admin interface. 

But I think I should change this in order for my router not to be visible from outside world, and also not to conflict with any of the Windows Server services, correct? It’s a best practice to do this correct?

If yes, I really don’t know which port I should use. I’m think on using port 8080 so the router access from inside my network will become: http://192.168.0.1:8080.

So can anyone please share your advice on which port I should use for my router admin interface access?

It must be a port that can only have access from my internal network and it must be a port not used by common services in order not to create conflicts. 

Thanks

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

At my home office i have a server running “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials” and I have already setup the Anywhere Access + VPN and all is working fine.

But there is one problem that I explain bellow:

My internet uses a Dynamic IP address that is shared to all the ISP clients in my street and city.

The problem is that I have tested to browse the internet dynamic IP instead of using the mycompany.remotewebaccess.com url it will open my server Anywhere Access page.

In a simple way, if I type on my browser my internet IP as: 111.111.111.111.remotewebaccess.com it will open the same page as if I type mycompany.remotewebaccess.com

---

I think this is a security risk and also if someone else on my street or city is using Anywhere Access it can conflict with my own install.

So does anyone knows what I need to do in order to resolve this problem? 

IMPORTANT NOTE: My internet ISP does not allows static IP’s, so that is not an option in my case.

Thanks