rfs830

What sata card are you all using

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, hfournier said:

But then you can't use the 2 SATA ports on the PCIe card as RAID 1 for the OS. And since the MB doesn't have any extra SATA connectors, then you're using one of the 4 for 1 or both SSD, which means you then have to connect 1 or 2 of your data drives to the PCIe card. So you end up using software RAID for both the OS and data arrays?

You could put both SSD on the SATA ports on the system board and use the Intel RAID software for RAID1. Then put your data drives on the remaining system board SATA ports and the two on the card. 

I find it hard to believe the system will not boot from a PCIe controller. I think I would want to test that.

hfournier

Agreed on both points, but on the first, I was hoping to use the hardware RAID 1 on the card vs Intel software RAID. However, to be honest, I'm not really sure how big a difference it would make.

On the second, there is an ongoing thread in the Dell forum about the fact that the undocumented m.2 slot on the T30's motherboard (shared with an OptiPlex) was initially bootable, but then was disabled in a BIOS update, so maybe Dell did the same regarding PCIe controllers. I was hoping someone here would have already tried it and would be able to confirm one way or the other.

rfs830

Thats a good idea about just moving the sata ports around.  I will be using stablebits so as long as I can get the system to boot off the ssd drive windows can do the rest.  I may wait to see if someone is able to test to see if they are able to boot the system off the pcie drives.  As of right now I am not able to find another system like it at this price range.  I was looking at maybe going with the t130 if I need to but I need to do some more research. Just trying to find a good system that will let me do 4 3.5 hard drives and 1 ssd drive for os at a decent price range.  If you all have any other suggesting please let me know.  

Thanks.  

hfournier

I'm in the same boat, but looking at 2 SSDs (RAID 1) for the OS. I was going to get the new HPE Microserver Gen10, but it's still not available in Canada and nobody can give me an ETA, so I started looking at the T30 and T130.

schoondoggy
5 minutes ago, hfournier said:

I'm in the same boat, but looking at 2 SSDs (RAID 1) for the OS. I was going to get the new HPE Microserver Gen10, but it's still not available in Canada and nobody can give me an ETA, so I started looking at the T30 and T130.

Look at the 24th post in this thread. Although he did not try it, he is claiming that booting from the Startech card is supported. He does offer other work around as well:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/393770-dell-poweredge-t20-server?page=2 

rfs830

ya so it looks like it might be able to be done.  Im really looking at this or the t130.  Need to research the t130.  I would love to get a t330 or maybe build a ryzen nas/vm pc.