rfs830

What sata card are you all using

rfs830

I am looking to picking up a t20/t30 as i have seen some good deal on them to help replace my HP NL54 server.  I will be making this a windows 2016 box.  I want to use an ssd as my os drive but I see I will need to add a pci sata card in there.  I as trying to see how much dell sells the card for but cant find the part on dells website.  

What card would you all recommend for me to us.  I tried to see the others posts but I did not see anyone say what card they used.  

Thank you in advance.  

schoondoggy
I am looking to picking up a t20/t30 as i have seen some good deal on them to help replace my HP NL54 server.  I will be making this a windows 2016 box.  I want to use an ssd as my os drive but I see I will need to add a pci sata card in there.  I as trying to see how much dell sells the card for but cant find the part on dells website.  

What card would you all recommend for me to us.  I tried to see the others posts but I did not see anyone say what card they used.  

Thank you in advance.  
If you want to add four ports there are good cards based on Marvell chips. If you are looking for eight ports I would go with an LSI based card. The Dell H310 is popular and LSI based. You can find them for $50. You can run them as a RAID card or convert them to a HBA (IT mode).

rfs830

I really only want to add 2 ssd drives to this box.  Do you all know what card dell is using? 

rfs830

perfect.  Thank you.  Now all i need to do is price out the power adapter dell user and add in to sata cables and I am good.  Thank you for the help.  

hfournier

I was looking at doing the same thing, but was told by a Dell hardware rep today that the T30 (in fact all G13) do not support booting into OS from PCIe card. Apparently the new G14 series will, but no T40 announced yet.

Also, in the Dell forums, there's a thread about an undocumented m.2 slot on the motherboard (shared with an OptiPlex) that used to boot, but was disabled in a BIOS update.

I was also told that the T30 does not come with extra drive caddies in the empty bays, so you have to source those elsewhere (eBay).

I believe this is the card in the Dell video on how to add 2 2.5" drives in the ODD bay.

Edited by hfournier

rfs830

Wait so we cant boot the os off the ssd drive? That would mess up my plans to make this a nice windows server.  Anyone out there that has the server able to let us know?  From the video it looks like you just have to take the cd rom drive out and put the 2.5in drives there.    

schoondoggy
I was looking at doing the same thing, but was told by a Dell hardware rep today that the T30 (in fact all G13) do not support booting into OS from PCIe card. Apparently the new G14 series will, but no T40 announced yet.

Also, in the Dell forums, there's a thread about an undocumented m.2 slot on the motherboard (shared with an OptiPlex) that used to boot, but was disabled in a BIOS update.

I was also told that the T30 does not come with extra drive caddies in the empty bays, so you have to source those elsewhere (eBay).

I believe this is the card in the
on how to add 2 2.5" drives in the ODD bay.
Connect the SSD to one of the onboard SATA ports and boot from there.

hfournier

But then you can't use the 2 SATA ports on the PCIe card as RAID 1 for the OS. And since the MB doesn't have any extra SATA connectors, then you're using one of the 4 for 1 or both SSD, which means you then have to connect 1 or 2 of your data drives to the PCIe card. So you end up using software RAID for both the OS and data arrays?