RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Safe Backup?

Masquerade

Hi,

In the "good old days" backups were often invalid and one had to ensure that one verified them. Are modern backups (e.g. that in WHS) trusted? Should one take two backups just in case? I'm talking about both backup types - those from the PCs to WHS and those from WHS to the external device.

[if I was archiving I would take three copies - but then I'm paranoid <grin>.]

Chris

The only way to know if you backups are safe is to periodically do a restore. Shadow Copies + Backups + Offsite Storage = peace of mind, or at least to me.

In addition to PC backup to WHS, I'm doing a daily incremental backup with Acronis to a secondary drive. Just started doing this a month ago, which reminds me that I need to look and see how this is going.

The only way to know if you backups are safe is to periodically do a restore. Shadow Copies + Backups + Offsite Storage = peace of mind, or at least to me.

Am I right to assume that thses are full rather than incremental backups? At least full backups do not (hopefully) recreate errors that could be in previous ones. I suppose that for very important files, one would restore onto a separate PC and have a look. However, if one had dozens of files this could be a problem. Anyone any ideas? Am I being too paranoid based on older backup technologies? Chris

The daily backups should be incrementals, the weeekly and monthly should be fulls. By default WHS is set to keep all backups for 3 periods (3 Days, or 3 Weeks, or 3 Months) which I think is foolish.

I have mine set to 7 Days-5 Weeks-12 Months. This way I am never missing a backup or retention period. If you are running Windows 7, you should really look at allocating space for Shadow Copies which are a snap to restore from.

Hi,

In the "good old days" backups were often invalid and one had to ensure that one verified them. Are modern backups (e.g. that in WHS) trusted? Should one take two backups just in case? I'm talking about both backup types - those from the PCs to WHS and those from WHS to the external device.

[if I was archiving I would take three copies - but then I'm paranoid <grin>.]

Chris

Protecting your data is not being paranoid. I have backups with WHS, 3 times a week with Acronis on my main PC, and Keepvault online backup for critical data and photos setup as an addin in WHS. To top things off, I periodically backup critical data and BDBB to an offsite location. I guess I am paranoid too..

Guest no-control

3 copies of the data

2 copies on separate physical media

1 copy is offsite

Only way to go.

Oh and a copy of really important stuff either in a safe or Safe deposit box.

The daily backups should be incrementals, the weeekly and monthly should be fulls. By default WHS is set to keep all backups for 3 periods (3 Days, or 3 Weeks, or 3 Months) which I think is foolish.

I have mine set to 7 Days-5 Weeks-12 Months. This way I am never missing a backup or retention period. If you are running Windows 7, you should really look at allocating space for Shadow Copies which are a snap to restore from.

Good advice - thank you. Now to find myself a WHS system before the tax increase in the new year.

By the way - my wife and I both run Dell laptops with Vista (mine 64 bit) - soon to be upgraded to "7". I have two spare 300GB SATA drives from an old PC that had a failed mother board. I use these disks in their original cage (part of Gateway 2000 chassis) with a simple SATA to USB converter to enable backups every ( :unsure: ) weeks. I've not invested in a proper external enclosure because I envisage using these in the WHS system for which I aim to have two 3TB drives.

Chris