RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lookout high cost cable TV companies, There is a new Sheriff in town and your not going to like it. SetTV, 20.00 a month all you can eat.

itGeeks

This weekend I was setting up a new HDHomeRun PRIME to use with Plex so I could cut 60.00 a month on rentals & DVR service when a friend came over and asked if I ever heard of SetTV, I don't know where this company came from out of nowhere but it looks darn good. After speaking with them turns out there a startup company that started offering this IPTV service early 2017, It cost 20.00 a month no contracts or you can pay for 12 months and get two months free. You get 500+ channels and there front-end software runs on anything Android so no hardware to purchase if you don't want to. They do offer a STB for 99.00 one time cost if you want it and they give you one month free for each STB you purchase. There will be a DVR service available early next year called 'CATCH UP' and from what they told me there will be no extra charge for it.

There is a 3 day trial you can signup for and no credit card needed. SetTV. Check it out, Let me know what you think. Should cable companies be worried about there treasure? As of now I have put my HDHomeRun project on hold. 

SetTV Capture.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

So HDHomeRun project is on hold but you didn't say if you signed up with SetTV. If you did let us know how it goes. Did you buy one of their boxes or are you installing on some Android device?

Sorry for the long delay getting back to you. No we did not sign up for it, We only did the 3 day trial. It worked pretty good but we are still under contract with our provider and after doing a bit of searching about the company it seems they have some angry customers and to top it off they have an "F" rating with the BBB, See here.

I am going to wait a year or so and see how Set TV does and hopefully they can workout there problems. In the mean time we are enjoying the 65.00 savings now from not having to rent all the STB's, router, and cost of the DVR service. HDHR Prime has been working great with Plex. I will probably add another HDHR Prime to give me a total of 6 tuners.

I would say if your curious about Set TV then give the free 3 day trial a shot, If you like it then go month to month. If you loose 20.00 then no big deal. I can tel you my friend has been using it and is pretty happy, He has not had the outages others talk about. I guess its a case of mileage will vary.

Edited by itGeeks