RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Riping DVD's

motorcycle

What is the best format and or program to rip DVD's to the server.
There are so many format's out there that it is just plain confusing. ISO vs MKV etc etc etc
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

How are you planning on consuming it? In Media Center (on an extender), Media Browser, My Movies, on a DLNA device, on a Roku or similar media playback device, just on a computer (XP/Vista/Win7?). That's going to be the key to deciding what format to rip into. For now, your best bet is probably to just rip as an ISO and then go from there.

<Moderator>
Discussion of specific ripping programs that break the encryption on DVD's are off-limits.
</moderator>

At present I have some movies ripped to AVI which play fine from the server. ISO would be the easiest with my particular software, but MKV seems to be gaining a lot of popularity.

I like h.264 files in the m2ts container. W7MC has native support for h.264 video files. For VC-1 files, a MKV container seems to give better results (requires FFDShow and Haali media splitter) in the windows environment.

Thanks for all of the info. Currently I am running an Acer home server, windows 7 media center, Sony xbr9
with internet, a wd live box and the wii. It sure gets complicated with all the formats, so I appreciate the feed back.
By the way great show on the podcast for home server show. I listen to it each week as soon as it comes out.
While you guys are at CES look-out for a top of the line home server. That will be my next purchase.

I think it's important where you want to consume your files too. I rip everything to raw VOB files using DVD Shrink and if necessary, AnyDVD. I wrote this up here a few months back. This stores the FULL quality of your DVD with the original data. Then, if you need a MP4 copy or something else, you can make it from the original files using Handbrake or the like.