RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Booting SSD from PCIe x1 slot

guojuw

Hi,

I am now holding the HPE microserver GEN10 (AMD Opteron(tm) X3418 APU, 8GB + 16 GB DDR4). 

I bought the exact  I/O Crest M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter SI-PEX40110 and a WD NVME 500GB (WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0).

I succefully installed and booted Fedora 32 from the NVME SSD. 

I tried to install Windows 10 (2004) pro into the SSD but failed to write files into it. I also tried to disable the secure boot but still could not install the windows 10. 

1 minute ago, guojuw said:

Hi,

I am now holding the HPE microserver GEN10 (AMD Opteron(tm) X3418 APU, 8GB + 16 GB DDR4). 

I bought the exact  I/O Crest M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter SI-PEX40110 and a WD NVME 500GB (WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0).

I tried to install Windows 10 (2004) pro into the SSD but failed to write files into it. I also tried to disable the secure boot but still could not install the windows 10. 

IMG_20200922_130617_8154.thumb.jpg.62de33b3162aff80bf56c7445e1fdbed.jpg

schoondoggy
17 hours ago, guojuw said:

Hi,

IMG_20200922_130617_8154.thumb.jpg.62de33b3162aff80bf56c7445e1fdbed.jpg

Is the BIOS set to UEFI?

Did you clear the NVMe drive after installing Linux on it?

guojuw
11 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Is the BIOS set to UEFI?

Hi, I set the BIOS to UEFI. More details here:

1. I first tried to install the windows on a clean NVMe drive. The error message (which is the picture I posted) came out before the installer was copying the files to the disk. 1st installation of windows failed.

2. I formatted the NVMe and tried to install fedora 32, with 100GB space left. Everything worked fine.

3. After I installed fedora 32. I tried to install windows again on the left space, which is 100GB. The same error message came out after the installer finished copying the files to the disk. 2nd installation of windows failed.

4. I boot from fedora and see what happens in the windows directories. Actually the installer has copied all major files, e.g, Program Files, Windows, Users, etc. But the EFI partition is empty.

Thanks.

guojuw
On 9/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, schoondoggy said:

Is the BIOS set to UEFI?

Hi,

I removed all other HDDs and USB sticks and now the windows 10 is sucessfully installed!

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, guojuw said:

Hi,

I removed all other HDDs and USB sticks and now the windows 10 is sucessfully installed!

Interesting, I did not think of that, but In hindsight I likely only had the NVMe drive in my server when I  installed Windows 10 as well.

Glad you got it working.

guojuw
On 9/25/2020 at 12:02 PM, schoondoggy said:

Interesting, I did not think of that, but In hindsight I likely only had the NVMe drive in my server when I  installed Windows 10 as well.

Glad you got it working.

Hi schoondoggy,

Have you tried any dual NVME SSD adapter at the x8 slot? If so, the MS gen10 can carry 3 NVME SSDs!

schoondoggy
17 hours ago, guojuw said:

Hi schoondoggy,

Have you tried any dual NVME SSD adapter at the x8 slot? If so, the MS gen10 can carry 3 NVME SSDs!

I have not.

Last time I checked there was no BIOS setting to control the bifurcation of the x8 slot. If you wanted to try this, your best bet would be one of the dual NVMe boards with a PCIe switch chip on it. There are several companies shipping this design: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/pex8m2e2