RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ziki

HP N40L vs NAS?

ziki

I was considering buying a NAS to have network access to my media disks, but then again i have an older N40L sitting around so i thought i'd use that. Can you help weighing out the pros and cons to make my decision. Havent owned a NAS bedore, so in terms of noise, power efficieny, drive performance, 24/7 Access which is better/worse? Is there any other information that could help me decide

schoondoggy
I was considering buying a NAS to have network access to my media disks, but then again i have an older N40L sitting around so i thought i'd use that. Can you help weighing out the pros and cons to make my decision. Havent owned a NAS bedore, so in terms of noise, power efficieny, drive performance, 24/7 Access which is better/worse? Is there any other information that could help me decide
The NAS products like Synology and QNAP tend to have very user friendly management software and lots of applications. Synology has a simulation on their website. You could try FreeNAS if you are serving up files from the N40l.
  • Like 1

ziki

What about reaid performance and transfer speeds with each method?

schoondoggy
What about reaid performance and transfer speeds with each method?
Performance would be similar, but it would depend on how you implement RAID on the N40l or which RAID level you choose on the NAS. As the N40l has a PCIe slot you could add a RAID card and increase performance.