RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Are USB 3 external enclosures any good?

psykix

I'm looking to add some storage to my Gen8 - currently have 4 x 4Tb and a SSD internally.

Easiest option would be to go for a USB3 external enclosure as I already have a spare 3Tb 3.5" drive sitting around I could utilise.

Are they any good? The drives will be used for media files only, and I use Drivepool to lump everything together in one big pool.

If they are ok for this purpose then maybe someone can suggest a decent one?

Thanks chaps & chapesses :-)

So I had another idea... My Gen8 is upgraded - 16Gb RAM, E3-1265Lv2 etc..

It's running as my Plex server.

Is there any way I could buy another Gen8 since there is cashback atm, and use that as storage for my souped up Gen8? Or is that gonna cause me too many issues?

Yeah, you could do, seems a bit excessive though.

Similar has been done before with a Gen7, the drive bays on the Gen7 were connected to a controller card in a Gen8, the Gen7 was booted from USB or something and used for Sophos UTM or somesuch so the unit wasnt just sat there doing nothing, think it was @schoondoggy that did it, do a search...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Yeah, you could do, seems a bit excessive though.

Similar has been done before with a Gen7, the drive bays on the Gen7 were connected to a controller card in a Gen8, the Gen7 was booted from USB or something and used for Sophos UTM or somesuch so the unit wasnt just sat there doing nothing, think it was @schoondoggy that did it, do a search...

In this post

Edited by eddie563

The Sansdigital and silverstone boxes in this thread work well with an HBA that has an external SFF-8088 port.

You could also do something like this:

• Thanks 1

Recommendations for a cheap HBA card?

I'd look at going for one of those Silverstone towers I think - not too bad a price.

Never mind, just read the other thread you linked to!