RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Are you on the fence of what to do because you don't have CAT5e/6 in a room and Wireless is not cutting it? Read below .

itGeeks

Thank you for the update, I am glad I could help solve your problems. That said I want to make it clear that MoCA is by far the 2nd best option over power-line or wireless if people don't have Ethernet in a location but they have COAX as you have discovered. There are a few things I need to point out though that affect the performance of MoCA that you and others need to be aware of.

1) for best performance you should have RG6 COAX installed vs RG59, RG6 is designed to handle the high speeds of data..

2) splitters, The more "splits you have the more it affects performance.

3) Not all splitters are created equal, They need to be spec for MoCA 2.x for best performance, What is the make and model of the splitter you purchased from Lowes? The ones I installed here are by a company called BAMF found here, I only have 2 splits for my house. one 8 port and one 2 port..

4) MoCA speeds are affected much in the same way as singe radio wireless routers, The fastest speed is dictated by the slowest device, So if you have any MoCA 1.x devices on the network it will slow it down to the lowest speeds..

PCEddie

Here is the splitter that I am using.83d65b381ac1cee9ff38b6224b383457.jpg

itGeeks

Thank you for the update. That splitter is not designed for MoCA, Though it maybe working for your internet speed test that is not how you test the true speed of your LAN. Internet speed test is only one part of testing, The true test of how your network is performing is when you use programs such as iPerf found here and 'Lan Speed Test' found here. With that splitter I would bet your getting no more then 150-300 Mbps on your local LAN on a good day. Do some testing with your splitter then purchase the brand I use BAMF that I use found here for the 4 way you have. 

jsox

Side comment on Powerline...

They work best when on the same electrical circuit. If you have 220 coming into your house (common) which is then broken into two different 110 circuits (common) you will see much better performance between two Powerline devices on the same 110 circuit than between two on different 110 circuits. That's the theory and my personal experience in my house matches the theory. They can still solve problems hard to solve other ways and are very flexible (just unplug!) but nothing beats an actual wired connection.

PCEddie

I placed the order on Amazon for the BAMF 4-Way Coax Cable Splitter Bi-Directional MoCA 5-2300MHz. I will get it before Christmas so I will have it swapped out. I will look at iPerf and Land Speed Test to see what results I get.

Thanks for the help.

itGeeks
10 hours ago, jsox said:

Side comment on Powerline...

They work best when on the same electrical circuit. If you have 220 coming into your house (common) which is then broken into two different 110 circuits (common) you will see much better performance between two Powerline devices on the same 110 circuit than between two on different 110 circuits. That's the theory and my personal experience in my house matches the theory. They can still solve problems hard to solve other ways and are very flexible (just unplug!) but nothing beats an actual wired connection.

You are somewhat correct but it has nothing to do with the lines from the pole to the house. It called "circuit hopping" and a hand full of 'Powerline' adapters that I tried in my old house did not do well with it. The one I found to work best is from Netgear found here, I had one installed by my 24 port edge switch and other in my detached garage running 4 IP Cameras and it worked great. It is to be said if there are no other options for wired connection in most cases 'Powerline' would be better then wireless. Millage will vary...

3 hours ago, PCEddie said:

I placed the order on Amazon for the BAMF 4-Way Coax Cable Splitter Bi-Directional MoCA 5-2300MHz. I will get it before Christmas so I will have it swapped out. I will look at iPerf and Land Speed Test to see what results I get.

Thanks for the help.

My pleasure, Cant wait to here about your test results...

Edited by itGeeks

gyrene2083

Hello All,

So it's been a while and I wanted to report back on my experience thus far. I like I mentioned in a previous post I have the Actiontec WCB6200Q. I had them from a cable company that got bought out by another, and the new company doesn't support them nor did they want them back.

So, what I did was finally get that POE installed in the initial drop (had to buy a special tool to open the box) then plugged one Ethernet to my Linksys router, and plugged the coax in and got all the lights up and running, and used the WPS to attach to my router. 

I then took the second Actiontec WCB6200Q to another room, plugged the coax in, and pressed the WPS and got it attached to the router.

I then plugged my computer to the second unit in the other bedroom, via lan cable, and BAM it worked!!! I was so happy.

My only issue is how to get the latest firmware. Since the cable company was pushing them out and now they don't exist, the firmware is outdated. I saw on the Actiontec Opensource site, that they have the newest firmware, my only concern is that if the unit was using custom firmware from the old cable company, would me trying to install newer firmware brick the unit?

So, this 'Ole Grumpy Marine, is leaning on you smarter guys. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by gyrene2083