RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Are you on the fence of what to do because you don't have CAT5e/6 in a room and Wireless is not cutting it? Read below .

itGeeks

Having tried several technology over the years there is no better connection then a wired connection but sometimes we can't get a wired connection to a room where we need it most, Or we are just to lazy to run the line. I have tried PowerLine adapters in the past and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I am in a new house now and time is limited for me to run lines so I decided to try a MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax adapter by Actiontec and boy I could not be more happy with the performance. I copied 2 Blu-ray movies from my Synology NAS running RAID 6 to my HP Laptop running a Samsung SSD and each 27GB movie copy in 9 minutes. That's impressive from what I was getting over 5Ghz WiFi, Those same files took 40-60 minutes as long as it did not fail.

These adapters are not cheap but I would say if you can't run cable or simple don't have time and you have COAX in the room you need a sound connection with close to 1GB speed then look no further then these adapters.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J7O3X0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

Like everything else mileage will vary on performance. I have newer COAX in my home and I only have one splitter in the basement feeding all the rooms, I installed the 1st MoCA adapter in the basement rite off the 1st splitter so performance would be the best. If you have older COAX wiring or many splitters in your home that could affect the speed of these.

On closing, After this experiment I would never use Power Line adapters again unless there was simply no other option.

PCEddie

Very interesting post. I am currently using power line adapters to connect my office (upstairs) to my router (downstairs) with so so network speeds. I looked at the Amazon reviews and noticed some of them refer to a filter applied to the coxal cable between the house and ISP to stop any network traffic from leaking out. Have you installed a filter? What network speeds are you getting. I do understand milage will very but at this point cutting holes in my walls to run Cat 6 cable is not an option but this adapter is an option for me to get as close to gigabit network speeds as possible for my internal network.

Trig0r

We've used similar kit before to extend a CCTV system, ducting had collapsed and there was just a single coax and power to a PTZ by the gate, nobody knew what route the duct took so we just stuck some of these on the ends and then ran into a switch, into a Ubiquiti and threw a signal a km or so away to the front gate of the property to the camera/intercom system there, works fine and certainly easier than it would of been finding the duct, running new cables etc

itGeeks
19 hours ago, PCEddie said:

Very interesting post. I am currently using power line adapters to connect my office (upstairs) to my router (downstairs) with so so network speeds. I looked at the Amazon reviews and noticed some of them refer to a filter applied to the coxal cable between the house and ISP to stop any network traffic from leaking out. Have you installed a filter? What network speeds are you getting. I do understand milage will very but at this point cutting holes in my walls to run Cat 6 cable is not an option but this adapter is an option for me to get as close to gigabit network speeds as possible for my internal network.

Good question, I should of covered the filter in my post. If you have traditional Cable TV then yes I would highly recommend getting the filter. I did not install the filter because I have Verizon FiOs here and since its not COAX end-to-end but Fiber to the ONT on my house then COAX from the ONT into my house I did not purchase one. After doing a bit of reading it seems the ONT will not re-transmit the MoCA signal out of the house. I found that info here. The filter I was going to purchase from Amazon is here.

'Power line adapters' are extremely tricky and if you can get them to connect performance maybe less then steller. I went threw several of these just to fine one that would handle 'circuit hopping' and still give good performance. I did not have Ethernet or COAX in this location so short of running lines Power Line was my only option at the time. MoCA 2.0 by Actiontec is hands down a better solution if you have COAX in the location already.

Have a look at this review by Lon Actiontec ECB6200K02 Bonded MOCA 2.0 Review

Also have a look at this, Lon Interview: MoCA Technology - Extending Your WiFi with Cable TV Wiring!

gyrene2083

So, I have run the exact same Actiontecs in a house I rented down in FL. Since I couldn't run cable this was the next best thing, and they worked fine. Now I'm in my new house and like someone mentioned not really much time and it's too hot to get up in the attic and run cable. So, I was thinking of using this again.

Here is where I have a problem. The filter is supposed to be put in the entrance to the house, well my box is directly outside my house. Well when I opened it up, I expected to see a line into a splitter. Well there was no line to any splitter furthermore the cable said voice on it. It was also connected to a another cable via coupler. So I was confused do I put the filter on here? OR, do I go up in the attic and put the filter before the amp'd splitter the cable company provided? 

Any thoughts and suggestions would be extremely helpful.

PCEddie

From what I have been reading, the filter should be applied before coming into the house. I have the same setup at my townhome and will purchase this setup. I will followup once I get the equipment.

gyrene2083

@ PCEddie, I’m going to try and put the filter before the coupler and see what happens to the rest of the cable boxes before I attach the ActionTecs. Will report as well.

gyrene2083

So, quick update, I managed to put the filter in place with no problems, however, my provider locked out MoCA on the router since they bought the previous provider with whom had MoCA enabled. <sigh> I did see these ActionTec internet over Coax with homes without a Moca Modem .

Anyone ever use or test these?

itGeeks

Sorry for the late response getting back to you. I have not used these adapters before but a quick look at the specs I can tel you that these adapters are the older MoCA 1.1 with a max speed of up to 270 Mbps so hence the low cost. The adapters I used are the newer MoCA 2.0 bonded with a max speed of up to 1GB. Please not I say up to for both adapters, There are many things that affect performance on these.

If you don't have a GB network and your happy with the speeds of the MoCA 1.1 adapters then I say go with it but if you have a GB switch and gear running @GB speeds then go with MoCA 2.0 bonded that I posted above, Again mileage will vary.

PCEddie

Followup to my last post. I pulled the trigger and bought the MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax adapter by Actiontec kit from B&H Photo for $150 and the MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax adapter by Actiontec from Amazon. My initial thoughts from just installing the kit and filter is the same as itGeeks. I have been impressed with the network speed. I am working on running some internal network speed tests but from running different Internet speed test the results have been great. From my computer in my office to the internet I am getting 100 Mbps + which is better than the 20 to 30 Mbps I was getting from my power line adapters. When I opened my Spectrum cable box outside of my town home, I thought I opened an onion because the mess I saw brought tears to my eyes. I ended up purchasing a coaxial splitter from Lowes that can handle HD streaming and allowed me to connect 4 coaxial cables. This $10 purchase seemed to be paying dividends as my internet speeds seem to improve and are more stable at 100 Mbps (which is the plan I am paying for). Anyone who has several coaxial cable drops in their house and don't want to run Cat 6 network cables, this is a good option.