RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rtrt

G7 Windows 10 - Any way to re-enable WOL?

rtrt

Have an N40 (and N36) where the WOL capability no longer works on W10. Looking here it says;

The ability to wake from a hybrid shutdown state (S4) or a fully powered off state (S5) is unsupported in Windows 8 and above,[21][22] and Windows Server 2012 and above.[23] This is because of a change in the OS behavior which causes network adapters to be explicitly not armed for WOL when shutdown to these states occurs. WOL from a sleep state (S3) or non-hybrid hibernation state (S4) is supported.

I then found this which gives steps to;

To enable the Wake On LAN (WOL) function after upgrading to Windows 10 or installing the Windows 10 update, perform the following the steps:

Having run through the steps I still dont have WOL on the N40, so thought i'd see if there was some knowledge here that would help.

Even if its 'it'll never work unless you change to OS' - then at least I'll know and can decide from there.

schoondoggy
Have an N40 (and N36) where the WOL capability no longer works on W10. Looking here it says;

The ability to wake from a hybrid shutdown state (S4) or a fully powered off state (S5) is unsupported in Windows 8 and above,[21][22] and Windows Server 2012 and above.[23] This is because of a change in the OS behavior which causes network adapters to be explicitly not armed for WOL when shutdown to these states occurs. WOL from a sleep state (S3) or non-hybrid hibernation state (S4) is supported.

I then found this which gives steps to;

To enable the Wake On LAN (WOL) function after upgrading to Windows 10 or installing the Windows 10 update, perform the following the steps:

Having run through the steps I still dont have WOL on the N40, so thought i'd see if there was some knowledge here that would help.

Even if its 'it'll never work unless you change to OS' - then at least I'll know and can decide from there.

Do you have the latest firmware on the N40l?

rtrt

Hi Schoondoggy, thanks for quick response.

Assuming you mean the BIOS, then I have an updated / hacked version - iirc it was primarily to allow full speed on SATA 5 & 6 though it was a long time back - maybe 3/4 years :o and there may have been other benefits.

I can't remember if got the specific files on here or not, but I do remember it being widely discussed on here as well as many other places when the N36 / N40 were still pretty current.

The BIOS does show a WOL option and its enabled.

I'll get the N36 online now in the meantime and see what status that is.

rtrt

Ah yes I think I remember that - think it was where the NIC didn't work at all on Win 8 or 8.1 & 2012 and stopped the boot. Then we had to wait for a driver or was it a BIOS update that took quite a while to come or iirc there was maybe a workaround by installing a 3rd party NIC - think I may have done that myself as an interim fix.

Is there a way to identify the specific BIOS installed? - I noticed it said 041 on the N40.

I've just checked the N36 and it also fails to boot on WOL - though I haven't run through those same regedit steps, I just checked the NIC / Power config. The power and activity LEDs are active on the Ethernet port when the server is powered off - so thats good.

schoondoggy
Ah yes I think I remember that - think it was where the NIC didn't work at all on Win 8 or 8.1 & 2012 and stopped the boot. Then we had to wait for a driver or was it a BIOS update that took quite a while to come or iirc there was maybe a workaround by installing a 3rd party NIC - think I may have done that myself as an interim fix.

Is there a way to identify the specific BIOS installed? - I noticed it said 041 on the N40.

I've just checked the N36 and it also fails to boot on WOL - though I haven't run through those same regedit steps, I just checked the NIC / Power config. The power and activity LEDs are active on the Ethernet port when the server is powered off - so thats good.
You may want to check the app in the groovypost above.

rtrt

Tried the app as well thanks Schoondoggy. Its quite a bit more comprehensive than the ones I have on my tablet / laptop but hasn't really helped - as the problem is I think with the Microserver / W10 combination.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the issue on a W10 build - or maybe thats uncommon for the G7s that are still out there...

------------

see we overlapped there - yes I did check it out. I'd initially thought it was some form of automated WOL config for the remote box being woken top - but it looks like a comprehensive WOL app to manage multiple remote boxes - groups etc

Edited by rtrt
crossed over posts

rtrt

And we have a result….:D

It was the diagnostics below on that same web page - i did read honest - but when I scanned the fast startup part I read it as 'have it checked / selected' as I'd already read that elsewhere in my digging around.

I just deselected it and we have WOL re-established!

Checking the N36 now - to see if the regedit is needed or if its just fast start only.

------------------------

So toggling fast start off, is sufficient to make the N36 respond to WOL as well. The N36 hasn't had the Regedit step completed and so we can say that looks unnecessary.

The only other thing that differs between the N36 & N40, is that the N40 was up to date with all W10 MS updates and the N36 is well behind - i.e. months. So I guess its possible that an update will break something - will report back if it does.

Thanks Schoondoggy for being a sounding board, making good suggestions and so making me think/check previous steps.

Edited by rtrt
N36 / Regedit confirmation
  • Like 1

rtrt

Quick update - one of the latest windows 10 updates stopped WOL again. Quick check of fast start status shows it was toggled to on - not by me....

bertieburt

Did you resolve this ? on Win 10 there are issues with the NIC that require the SP64420.exe bios update when I tried to get it from HP I was told I needed an enterprise support package however after some while talking to the support guy he emailed it across to me for free.

After updating my N40 and N54 both could access the internet on Windows 10 (they previously couldn't under the old BIOS) and WOL via lights out works fine