RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

To upgrade or not to upgrade - CPU

WhaleTrain

Hey guys, first time poster. I've been a long time watcher of the forums but never have posted, purely because I've never had a home server to post about or ask.

Anyway, I finally became the owner of a HPE Gen 8 Microserver (I'm assuming V2 or above because of the new logo design) after taking advantage of August's cashback offer (which has been confirmed but I'm yet to receive). My first thought was to simply upgrade the CPU to the Xeon E3-1230V2 but I was unaware the heatsink was only rated for a max of 35w tdp, so this thought was out the window.

After many nights, I found that really the only viable upgrade at a push is probably the i3 3240 but even with that I'm concerned because of the 55w TDP according to the intel spec sheet. A Pentium upgrade seems... daft and unreasonable. The 3240 is £44! It just seems like a no-brainer.

So I'm at a pickle, I've read stories of the Gen 8 coping fine with the 3240 but they never really talk about fan speed - which I am very cautious about after discovering by myself the infamous AHCI Fan Issue. I was ready to just send it back because the noise was just unacceptable, I manned up, removed my SSD from the ODD port and just stuck another drive in the main bays as a boot drive (5tb in total, configured in separate RAID 0 arrays) and now it's basically as quiet as I want it and it runs at the lowest fan speed, even when streaming through plex etc.

Now my use case is as above, I mainly use it as a file server for storing files and streaming via Plex. The Smart TV I have, I believe does have Direct Play so I don't think the server has to trans-code any files because they're... supported? (I think that's how it works). The extra CPU will come in handy should I then step into the need for trans-coding.

Obviously upgrading a CPU to one that's rated higher than the CPU is asking for trouble. I'm willing to do it but I don't want any sort of fan noise increase.

Any experience is appreciated :)

You could buy my E3-1260L and the 65w heatpipe I have, presuming you are in the UK lol

Seriously tho, depending on the number of streams you are wanting to run, and what quality the stock G1610T will work, I've setup 2 Gen8's for friends that have nothing more than an extra 4Gb RAM and then a "Plex VM"....

18 hours ago, Trig0r said:

You could buy my E3-1260L and the 65w heatpipe I have, presuming you are in the UK lol

Seriously tho, depending on the number of streams you are wanting to run, and what quality the stock G1610T will work, I've setup 2 Gen8's for friends that have nothing more than an extra 4Gb RAM and then a "Plex VM"....

I'd be serious about buying it but of-course, price would be a large consideration. What did you have in mind? I am indeed based in the  UK.

Streams, I was potentially thinking 2, maybe 3 perhaps.

When you mention "Plex VM" do you mean via something like ESXI?

Whats your source like, 3 streams would be a push, both of the units I have were doing single streams @720, anything more than that I would imagine they'd struggle.

Plex-VM, a Windows 10x64 virtual machine, can run on whatever Hypervisor you want to run it on, personally, I'm a Windows guy so run mine, and the others I have set up, on 2012r2 or 2016 with the Hyper-V role installed (among others), depends on your personal preference/knowledge tbh..

Price, depends probably around the £160 area, depending on how close you are you can pick up or I can drop off, I've also got some CPU goo as well for installation, I'm always open for swaps/px as well as I'm always on the look out for bits..

Edited by Trig0r

2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Whats your source like, 3 streams would be a push, both of the units I have were doing single streams @720, anything more than that I would imagine they'd struggle.

Plex-VM, a Windows 10x64 virtual machine, can run on whatever Hypervisor you want to run it on, personally, I'm a Windows guy so run mine, and the others I have set up, on 2012r2 or 2016 with the Hyper-V role installed (among others), depends on your personal preference/knowledge tbh..

Price, depends probably around the £160 area, depending on how close you are you can pick up or I can drop off, I've also got some CPU goo as well for installation, I'm always open for swaps/px as well as I'm always on the look out for bits..

I'm also factoring in that I'm wanting to RIP/Encode movies too so the extra horsepower would be a delight.

£160 is a good shout and good consideration so maybe we can talk some money haha. Alternatively, how much just for the heatsink?

I'm based in the North West, Wigan area. I'd be happy for postage, if you're comfortable with that but preferably PayPal payment.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:02 PM, WhaleTrain said:

I'm also factoring in that I'm wanting to RIP/Encode movies too so the extra horsepower would be a delight.

£160 is a good shout and good consideration so maybe we can talk some money haha. Alternatively, how much just for the heatsink?

I'm based in the North West, Wigan area. I'd be happy for postage, if you're comfortable with that but preferably PayPal payment.

they are like Hen's teeth and i paid £123.84 delivered from Lamdatek just for the heat pipe. yes you can splice and dice active cooling onto the standard heatsink etc. etc. but if im upgrading i'd like the correct heatpipe over anything else. if you dont take them both, i will ;) and Trig0r can send it to me with the P222 i bought.

Edited by eddie563

I'm easy either way tbh, given I'm still planning on rocking up to yours at some point with this box of stuff I have no harm in adding another box, would of saved me a feckload of time if you had just bought the entire Gen8 when I was breaking it :D

Edited by Trig0r

15 hours ago, eddie563 said:

they are like Hen's teeth and i paid £123.84 delivered from Lamdatek just for the heat pipe. yes you can splice and dice active cooling onto the standard heatsink etc. etc. but if im upgrading i'd like the correct heatpipe over anything else. if you dont take them both, i will ;) and Trig0r can send it to me with the P222 i bought.

Woah now, get your own thread haha. Only joking ;)

That's the thing, if I can get a working heatsink with a CPU, I'd rather pay the £160 than just the heatsink.

2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

I'm easy either way tbh, given I'm still planning on rocking up to yours at some point with this box of stuff I have no harm in adding another box, would of saved me a feckload of time if you had just bought the entire Gen8 when I was breaking it :D

Hmm, ok then. PM me and we can discuss this further if you'd like. I don't mind paying for postage but ideally would want it tracked and via PayPal.

• Haha 1

I went for an e3 1225v2 77tdp no mods all working OK even in the loft with this summer I did put the fan to medium but will put it back down again soon who knows what the temperature is I'm running esxi but all seems good for last 4 months. I had the i3 3240 before the e3 it was a good upgrade but really wanted 4 cores can get it 3240 for £25 few pound postage from cex I also had an i5 2390t that ran really well with esxi and is cheap