RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 Client Backup Problem

StanHD

WHS V1 backup has been working fine with my Windows 7 HTPC up until a week ago. The backup appears to initiate but does not get past "A backup is starting" and "0%". This just freezes on both the WHS and the Client PC. Neither suffer from any other symptoms (ie. crashes or system degradation etc). This lasts several hours until I guess it times out and reports a "Failed" in the Console and a duration of 0 seconds.

2 other Clients (Windows 7 & Vista) backup fine.

I have run a chkdsk which reports no problems, however, I am a bit unsure if I should treat a SSD any differently.

Any suggestions / help much appreciated.

I've also seen this, but am sorry to say I don't quite remember how I resolved it. I may have run Repair under the Backup Cleanup and Database Repair section to fix it.

Seems like I had this. Can you manually start a backup? Seems like I may have had a database problem and it had to repair itself.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

I have tried the repair database which was successful but no change. The same thing happens if I try to run a manual backup. It just sits there with 0% complete and "A backup is starting"

Man, I've got to start writing this stuff down. I wish I could remember if I ever fixed this, or if I finally gave up and did a restore to a point before the problem started.

No idea if this could help, but take a look: http://www.mediasmar....php?f=5&t=4374

Another thing, you might power-cycle everything on the network - modem, router, switch, PC.

@dvn, thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the power cycling thing but to no effect. I also re-installed latest NIC drivers, removed Security Essentials (and subsequently re-installed) but still no-go. The PC itself is operating fine.

I think I will try a few more things, then after I return from vacation perhaps a full clean re-install will be the right way to go.

I wonder if you could start the client in Safe Mode with Networking and try a backup from there????

I will give that a go tonight, thanks.

Also Stan, note the time the job starts and if it fails again, look through the Event Logs on both the server and client.

Thanks for all the pointers guys. In the end I did a clean install. It was overdue anyway, even then the "backup data" option failed! (that didn't matter to me all data on WHS). All went well and I re- installed the few programmes that I need ( TMT3 etc.) from the windows.old file. I think there were probably several issues here and this was my best option. Now I'm stuck with a 48 hour delay at London Gatwick airport waiting for a flight to the USA ! Damned snow :(