RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

How to use Amazon Echo Dot and mix in a source and hook it up to your existing wired whole home audio system and do it on a budget!

Dave

How to use Amazon Echo Dot and mix in a source and hook it up to your existing wired whole home audio system.  And do it on a budget! Check all my Echo multi room audio videos.

I am not an audio professional so there may be better ways to do this!  However, I have speakers all over my house that are wired up to volume control knobs, that are all wired to a distribution panel in my basement.  Meaning, you can hook up a radio and play that source all over the house if you want.  Well, I don't want radio, I want Amazon Prime Music or Tune-in, or Spotify, or Pandora, etc.

I used the 1st Gen Echo Dot with audio out and wired it up to my distribution panel.  I did that by using pre-existing wiring in the house that was meant to send a source from my main TV area.  I'm lucky that it was wired that way.  BUT NOW, since Amazon enabled multi-room I can move that Dot downstairs and ask my kitchen Echo Show to play music on a group.  Add that dot to a group and it will do the work for you outputting audio to your volume control knobs and eventually to your speakers.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

What is the driver for having the old echo in the basement? Is there any benefit other than one less device in the living room?

How many speakers does the amp support? Just wondering if you truly have an out for each speaker or if you are running multiple speakers off of each out, thus reducing power to each speaker.

Down here in texASS they don't run built in speakers to a distribution panel.