RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Welcome StableBit as a RESET advertiser!

Dave

Do you all know StableBit?  They have 3 awesome products.  Do you remember Drive Extender for Windows Home Server?  Think of that but 1,000 better and more reliable.  I use DrivePool and swear by it.  It will pool all your physical hard drives into one virtual drive and you can even duplicate that drive to another folder.  It's amazing software.  Then, use Scanner to keep a pulse on all your HDD's and CloudDrive to use cloud storage just like a local drive.

DrivePool

Scanner

CloudDrive

Check them out here - http://stablebit.com/resetpodcast

I can't stress enough how good this software is.  Install it on Windows and you have yourself a server.  Listen to RESET Podcast for more on StableBit or click the banner on the top of the forums.  A big thanks to StableBit for advertising in this community.

Dave

• Like 1

I loved DrivePool when it first came out. It was a great product and much better than the competing product.

Anyone using DrivePool on Windows 7 or 10? I am curious if it allows you to set up different users with permissions similar to the way you would on WHS did?

• Like 1

Big user of both DrivePool and Scanner.  Currently have 12+ drives in my home server.  Just converted my neighbor over to it as well.  Was an easy sell when I explained the benefits.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 10:22 AM, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

Anyone using DrivePool on Windows 7 or 10? I am curious if it allows you to set up different users with permissions similar to the way you would on WHS did?

Sorry for the delay! 

It works like a normal disk. Permissions are managed by the OS and DrivePool doesn't do anything here. 

So it would be up to you to configures this. 

However, as for WHS, it set up the shares with "Everyone" getting full control and falling back onto NTFS permissions.  You can do this if you have a Pro version, by running "fsmgmt.msc". 

Otherwise, homegroups and the like will work just fine.