RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding SSD as boot drive?

|Rob|

I was hoping someone could point me in  the right direction. Just ordered a Gen10 to replace an aging N40L.

I assume it's possible to fit an SSD into the optical bay so all 4 drive bays can be used for data drives. Could someone run me through the steps/equipment needed to do this?

I believe the production MS Gen10 ship with a bracket to mount a SSD in the ODD bay. My Beta unit did not ship with one. What OS are you going to run?

Thanks, was just reading that.

It talks about an "SSD Enablement kit"?

I've just received and opened the Gen10 and there doesn't seem to be any sort of bracket provided.

Do I just need to get a bracket, sata power cable and sata data cable?

There is no iLo on the Gen10. If you don't want to buy the SSD enablement kit, you could just use some double sided tape to mount the SSD, connect it with a standard SATA data cable and power it with a floppy to SATA power cable.

You can go into the BIOS and set the SSD as the boot device or if you install the OS on the SSD while the SSD is the only drive in the system, it will be recognized as the boot device. There were other complications using the ODD port on the Gen8 to boot an SSD, you dont need to worry about those as the Gen10 does not have the same issues. Just make an install USB drive for your OS and you should be fine.

• Like 1