RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
HawkFE

Can't Install Windows on SP4

HawkFE

Hey guys,

I am having an issue with my Surface Pro 4. A few weeks ago it hung on an install of a Windows update. I let it run for three days, but it just sat still at 33%. So I did the unthinkable and powered it down and rebooted. Since then it refuses to boot and loads directly into the you UEFI menu.  I wasn't all that surprised that it corrupted windows. At that point I decided to do a clean install. I had nothing important on the device, but I had not made a recovery disk.  So I turned off secure boot and TPM and loaded up an 8 gig USB drive with a windows 10 ISO I had. I was unable to boot from the USB. It kept booting back into the UEFI menu(even after selecting the USB as the boot disk). So I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the recovery image. This download was in a zip file. So on a fresh 8 gig USB, formatted FAT32, I copy the contents of the zip. This failed to boot as well....  Then, I burned a DVD with a copy of windows 10. With this, I finally got a different result. Attached is a picture of the blue screen I got after 10 to 15 seconds of the screen saying "attempting to repair". After more troubleshooting I got the same Blue screen from booting off of a USB with a clean Windows ISO. After some googling I was never able to find with the error code really meant.

I would love to create a ticket and send this back to Microsoft for them to fix it but there's an issue with that; I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and my one year of warranty will run out before I get home. If anyone here has the ideas how to remedy the situation or what might have overlooked, please let me know. Also, if someone knows the best way of getting a hold of Microsoft to see if they could help me out I would greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and support.

Trevor

P.S. the hardware is:  Surface Pro 4 - 128GB i5 4GB

IMG_9719_JPG.jpg

Trig0r

I'm still rocking the Pro 3 so havent done a full on recovery on a 4, however, if you have another PC I'd use the Win10 USB boot creator thing and then use that to boot and do a fresh install rather than from the proper "Surface" recovery...

eddie563

My SP4 came with windows 8.1 installed. there is actually a special release for the SP4's and i used it to update, it clears the recovery partition and inserts windows 10 so that when you do a factory restore it does not revert to 8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage login, select your device and it will give you the correct files.

HawkFE
4 hours ago, eddie563 said:

My SP4 came with windows 8.1 installed. there is actually a special release for the SP4's and i used it to update, it clears the recovery partition and inserts windows 10 so that when you do a factory restore it does not revert to 8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage login, select your device and it will give you the correct files.

OK, thanks for the feedback.  I downloaded the image and used a friends Win10 to make a recovery USB.  I then copied the zip files to the USB like stated on the downloading instructions.  Now, when the SP4 boots off of the recovery USB it has a blank blue screenwoth the keyboard icon in the lower right.  That is it. Sits there for a min or two then the screen turns off.

Any ideas?

schoondoggy

I would use the Windows media creation tools on a different Windows 10 machine to make install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
Then I would make a boot usb that has Diskpart on it. Use Diskpart to remove all partitions from the drive. With a clean SSD try installing Windows 10.

Trig0r

Yeah that's what I meant, couldn't remember what it was called tho..

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I knew what you were talking about!

Trig0r

Always good when at least one person does :D

eddie563
18 hours ago, HawkFE said:

OK, thanks for the feedback.  I downloaded the image and used a friends Win10 to make a recovery USB.  I then copied the zip files to the USB like stated on the downloading instructions.  Now, when the SP4 boots off of the recovery USB it has a blank blue screenwoth the keyboard icon in the lower right.  That is it. Sits there for a min or two then the screen turns off.

Any ideas?

These are the instructions i followed to reset it. i didn't just boot. see step 2. that puts you in to reset mode, which then blats the partitions and rebuilds them from scratch putting the OS into the recovery partition. which is how i removed 8.1 and am now stock 10 if i recover.

How to reset your Surface using your USB recovery drive

Important

A reset returns your Surface to its factory settings. It deletes all of your personal files, resets your settings, and removes all apps that you installed.

Note

Make sure you have access to the product keys and installation files for any desktop apps, such as Microsoft Office, that you plan to reinstall after the reset.

1. Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in, and then insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.
  2. Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button.
  3. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
  4. When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
  5. Select Troubleshoot > Recover from a drive. If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Select the target operating system you need to reset. (This refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.)
  7. Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive. 
    The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you’re recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you’re keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
  8. Select Recover. 
    Surface restarts and displays the Surface logo while the reset process continues. This can take several minutes.

HawkFE
21 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

I would use the Windows media creation tools on a different Windows 10 machine to make install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
Then I would make a boot usb that has Diskpart on it. Use Diskpart to remove all partitions from the drive. With a clean SSD try installing Windows 10.

OK, I used the Media Creations Tool to make a copy of Win 10.  But how do I make a bootable USB with DiskPart installed on it?

5 hours ago, eddie563 said:

These are the instructions i followed to reset it. i didn't just boot. see step 2. that puts you in to reset mode, which then blats the partitions and rebuilds them from scratch putting the OS into the recovery partition. which is how i removed 8.1 and am now stock 10 if i recover.

Yes, thank you.  This is how I have been booting my SP4. It still gives me a blank blue screen.