Sign in to follow this  
SpivR

Netgear Flexpower ONVIF wirefree battery wireless IP Camera

SpivR    13
SpivR

This probably deserves it's own thread but I'm not sure where it should go...

Just visited CEDIA 2017 in San Diego and one of the HOTTEST products just announced (and that I hadn't heard about before the show) is the new Netgear wireless IP Camera.

The folks that do the popular ARLO camera have a new line called FlexPower that uses the same physical packaging but is a completely separate system.

The FlexPower is a battery operated (rechargeable) wireless IP Camera that is fully ONVIF compatible.

It is a very clever system where a "base station" provides the ONVIF interface and controls multiple wireless cameras.  The cameras themselves are motion-activated, but the base station makes it all transparent to standard ONVIF systems.

Looking forward to seeing these when they ship at the end of October.

If it works smoothly with 3rd party NVR systems (like Blue Iris and SecuritySpy, etc.) this could be a real game changer - the benefits of a wireless/battery-powered camera connected to a standard back-end NVR.

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2017/ONVIF-COMPLIANT-SECURITY-CAMERA.aspx

ShadowPeo    32
ShadowPeo

Could be interesting, especially in the rental market or people have no way of getting ethernet to the area. I will have to wait to see where the tech goes over a couple of years. However I doubt it will be able to supplant PoE Cameras, I see these wireless cameras as an addition to a good PoE system not a replacement for most cases

ImTheTypeOfGuy    31
ImTheTypeOfGuy
19 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

Could be interesting, especially in the rental market or people have no way of getting ethernet to the area. I will have to wait to see where the tech goes over a couple of years. However I doubt it will be able to supplant PoE Cameras, I see these wireless cameras as an addition to a good PoE system not a replacement for most cases

I agree completely. PoE cameras are amazing compared to wireless and without the hassles.

SpivR    13
SpivR

Definitely agree - wireless/battery ONVIF cameras will be a great supplement, but not replacement for mainstream PoE cameras.

I can see uses for them as doggie cams (mount right inside the dog crate or dog runs inside or outside the home), temporary outside cams for monitoring during brief trips or vacations, fun use (in a tree house, pool house roof, or during an outside party) where temporary ease of installation outweighs the other limitations.

Dave    277
Dave

This is very interesting. It's basically everything I've ever wanted!  My only problem is I like 24/7 streaming and I tend to do it on multiple screens.  That's my thing though.  I do agree that it will be a great platform for trouble spots. Put a camera where you need it for a little while.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Vadito
      By Vadito
      For years I have been able to remotely view and connect cameras at my elderly parent’s home.  I used the dyndns.org service and various ports to be able to view cameras around the home.  But recently their ISP “upgraded” to CGN, Carrier Grade NAT and dual stack.  From that moment, the dyndns service has not been working.  I loaded the dyndns client program on a computer at their home, and even with it running, the result is the same, no connection any camera.   I under the concept of the large private network the provider is using and that the cameras have to go through it.  I guess my question is how to I get there?  Is there a service that is designed to forward through a CGN?   Thanks for any help or advice.    

• Dave
      By Dave

Package Contents: 1 x 4K WiFi Sports Camera, 1 x Waterproof Case + Screw, 1 x Frame, 1 x Clip, 1 x Adapter, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x English User Manual

FuriBee F60 4K WiFi Action Camera only $29.99

Silly name?  Ya. I bought an action cam that is practically the same. Built on same body, lens, etc.  I paid way more than this and love it.  It's really nice having this extra camera around.  I also picked up a kit that has tons of mounts and stuff.  This one has a waterproof case too. Nice to have!  This price is practically risk free and I have had good luck so far with GearBest.
    • Big Tree
      By Big Tree
      Hey all,

I'm putting together a plan to outfit my home as a smart home.  I want to do this for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I am an electrician and I'd like to make smart technology more a part of my business, as no one in my community does it.  Second, I love smart technology and I want it!  I'm looking for suggestions and tips as to what is going to be the best to not only outfit my home with, but is good to sell in a lower income market (nothing like crestron or control 4). 

I think the essential things to put in to make a home smart would be heating control, lighting control, door control, as well as some control to bring them all together.  Here are my current thoughts, and I'd love to hear what any of you think about these things.

Lighting - Lutron Caseta - I'm a RadioRa2 installer, but I don't have the money to put that into my house, so the next best thing for me is Caseta.  I already have Caseta switches in my home and I love them.  I sell them quite often already and I think Lutron is fantastic.

Heating - Ecobee - I like ecobee in theory because they aren't nest.  Even though I'm a Nest Pro, I just have always liked the look and sound of Ecobee.  Am I completely off my rocker for thinking that?

Door Control - August Lock with Ring Doorbell - Seems like these are the best things out there right now, but this is a category that I know very little about.

Central Control - I use Apple right now, so HomeKit seems to make sense, but I think I'd like to use voice control and so the Echo seems like a good product for that.  Would a Google Home be better?  Again, don't have much knowledge of this section yet.

Finally, I currently have an old Apple router, one of the old airport extremes, and I don't know if I should be thinking of upgrading my router in this process.

Thanks for reading my post, thanks for any input you give.
    • DaMenace
      By DaMenace
      I have been looking at Synology for a great NAS and happened to stumble across this......https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT2600ac
      Does anyone know how this works?
    • TheJason
      By TheJason
      I was trying out the camera app on my Surface Pro, and it goes into the front-facing camera by default.  I wanted to change to the rear-facing camera, but I do not seem to have the "Change Camera"  button described in this post http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/support/hardware-and-drivers/surface-cameras-faq, so I can't switch to the rear-facing camera.

In the att photo, you can see the Camera Options, Timer and Video mode buttons, but no change camera.  Anybody have any ideas?