RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
SpivR

Netgear Flexpower ONVIF wirefree battery wireless IP Camera

SpivR

This probably deserves it's own thread but I'm not sure where it should go...

Just visited CEDIA 2017 in San Diego and one of the HOTTEST products just announced (and that I hadn't heard about before the show) is the new Netgear wireless IP Camera.

The folks that do the popular ARLO camera have a new line called FlexPower that uses the same physical packaging but is a completely separate system.

The FlexPower is a battery operated (rechargeable) wireless IP Camera that is fully ONVIF compatible.

It is a very clever system where a "base station" provides the ONVIF interface and controls multiple wireless cameras.  The cameras themselves are motion-activated, but the base station makes it all transparent to standard ONVIF systems.

Looking forward to seeing these when they ship at the end of October.

If it works smoothly with 3rd party NVR systems (like Blue Iris and SecuritySpy, etc.) this could be a real game changer - the benefits of a wireless/battery-powered camera connected to a standard back-end NVR.

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2017/ONVIF-COMPLIANT-SECURITY-CAMERA.aspx

ShadowPeo

Could be interesting, especially in the rental market or people have no way of getting ethernet to the area. I will have to wait to see where the tech goes over a couple of years. However I doubt it will be able to supplant PoE Cameras, I see these wireless cameras as an addition to a good PoE system not a replacement for most cases

ImTheTypeOfGuy
19 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

Could be interesting, especially in the rental market or people have no way of getting ethernet to the area. I will have to wait to see where the tech goes over a couple of years. However I doubt it will be able to supplant PoE Cameras, I see these wireless cameras as an addition to a good PoE system not a replacement for most cases

I agree completely. PoE cameras are amazing compared to wireless and without the hassles.

SpivR

Definitely agree - wireless/battery ONVIF cameras will be a great supplement, but not replacement for mainstream PoE cameras.

I can see uses for them as doggie cams (mount right inside the dog crate or dog runs inside or outside the home), temporary outside cams for monitoring during brief trips or vacations, fun use (in a tree house, pool house roof, or during an outside party) where temporary ease of installation outweighs the other limitations.

Dave

This is very interesting. It's basically everything I've ever wanted!  My only problem is I like 24/7 streaming and I tend to do it on multiple screens.  That's my thing though.  I do agree that it will be a great platform for trouble spots. Put a camera where you need it for a little while.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      Rachio has just announced version 3 of their popular sprinkler system controller.  Rachio's generation 2 hardware was such an improvement on their first controller it may be hard to top.  Gen 3 looks great and has new hardware to go with it.  First Look video below!

Rachio's approach to irrigation hardware has been pretty straightforward. 

Replace your existing irrigation controller, water smarter,  take advantage of mobile to control it. 

What they have done over the past 2 iterations is make it easier to do all three.  Generation 2's hardware simplified the install immensely and the Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller looks to do the same as well as  offering more options for the homeowner.  So how do you improve on an already great controller?

Increase the smarts with enhanced weather data
      Add a 5Ghz radio along with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi
      Add long range communication for add on devices

Let's just jump to the new devices.  Rachio is announcing an add on flow meter called the Rachio Wireless Flow Meter.  It will sense water flow and shut down water supply if it detects a leak.

This is an interesting addition to the product because it moves Rachio from a true DIY product to on that may need help from a professional.  If you know your sprinkler system you know you have a back flow valve somewhere on your property.  It is usually above ground and the Flow Meter can install in-line, after the backflow valve.  Rachio has tips and guidance on the install if you would like to attempt it yourself but it may be prudent to involve your irrigation pro if you don't already have the tools to perform this type of work.

The "smarts" surrounding Rachio 3 cannot be overlooked.  Their new weather intelligence is impressive.  You can gain insight on weather data within a 36 foot radius of the Rachio 3 controller.  Thirty Six Feet!  

Rachio 3 ships April 2018 and can be pre-ordered today at http://www.rachio.com  Rachio Flow ships May 2018.  Pre-Sale pricing is $279 for the 8 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  $329 for the 16 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  Outdoor enclosures are still $29.

Flow Install Guidance - https://www.rachio.com/pdf/flow-install-overview_final.pdf

• Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Today, Netgear announced HomeKit functionality in Arlo Baby Smart HD Monitoring Camera.  Parents with this camera can now easily pair it to HomeKit and ask Siri to show the baby camera.  Just as fun, you can listen in on baby's room as well as view from remote.

“HEY SIRI, SHOW ME THE NURSERY”

Netgear is the first smart baby camera to integrate with HomeKit.  You can easily watch and listen to live video stream with 2 way audio from Arlo Baby camera through your iOS  Home app.  Netgear won an innovation award with Arlo Baby Smart HD camera at CES 2017.  It can be found at most big box stores and on Amazon for $231.99. http://amzn.to/2D2fm0b

You will immediately recognize the Baby Smart Cameras as it can be dressed up to look more appealing in a child's room instead of the look of an intruding security camera.  It also has temperature and air quality sensors to give you more insight into your baby's room as well as peace of mine.  You can use motion alerts to stay let you know when baby's nap is over or you can use an audio alert to let you know as well.  It will also send air quality notifications.
      One feature I think differentiates this camera from the others is the "near-invisible" infrared in order to get night vision.  It also has a rechargeable battery so you can move the camera to wherever baby is.