RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Netgear Flexpower ONVIF wirefree battery wireless IP Camera

SpivR

This probably deserves it's own thread but I'm not sure where it should go...

Just visited CEDIA 2017 in San Diego and one of the HOTTEST products just announced (and that I hadn't heard about before the show) is the new Netgear wireless IP Camera.

The folks that do the popular ARLO camera have a new line called FlexPower that uses the same physical packaging but is a completely separate system.

The FlexPower is a battery operated (rechargeable) wireless IP Camera that is fully ONVIF compatible.

It is a very clever system where a "base station" provides the ONVIF interface and controls multiple wireless cameras.  The cameras themselves are motion-activated, but the base station makes it all transparent to standard ONVIF systems.

Looking forward to seeing these when they ship at the end of October.

If it works smoothly with 3rd party NVR systems (like Blue Iris and SecuritySpy, etc.) this could be a real game changer - the benefits of a wireless/battery-powered camera connected to a standard back-end NVR.

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2017/ONVIF-COMPLIANT-SECURITY-CAMERA.aspx

Could be interesting, especially in the rental market or people have no way of getting ethernet to the area. I will have to wait to see where the tech goes over a couple of years. However I doubt it will be able to supplant PoE Cameras, I see these wireless cameras as an addition to a good PoE system not a replacement for most cases

19 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

Could be interesting, especially in the rental market or people have no way of getting ethernet to the area. I will have to wait to see where the tech goes over a couple of years. However I doubt it will be able to supplant PoE Cameras, I see these wireless cameras as an addition to a good PoE system not a replacement for most cases

I agree completely. PoE cameras are amazing compared to wireless and without the hassles.

Definitely agree - wireless/battery ONVIF cameras will be a great supplement, but not replacement for mainstream PoE cameras.

I can see uses for them as doggie cams (mount right inside the dog crate or dog runs inside or outside the home), temporary outside cams for monitoring during brief trips or vacations, fun use (in a tree house, pool house roof, or during an outside party) where temporary ease of installation outweighs the other limitations.

This is very interesting. It's basically everything I've ever wanted!  My only problem is I like 24/7 streaming and I tend to do it on multiple screens.  That's my thing though.  I do agree that it will be a great platform for trouble spots. Put a camera where you need it for a little while.