Sign in to follow this  
cocksy

In place upgrade of hyper-v server 2012R2 to 2016

cocksy    0
cocksy

Hi All,

I have a small home server running hyper-v server 2012R2 on an SSD with the VMs on the same SSD.

I'd like to upgrade to hyper-v server 2016, but not sure how I go about doing it in place... Is it even possible? If I need to completely wipe and start again, how do I "move" / export my VMs to another disk so that I can upgrade the hypervisor and then import them back?

Thanks!

Poppapete    103
Poppapete

Pretty sure there is no upgrade path.  You need a fresh install (not cheap either if you have to purchase it retail).  The VM's however should easily transfer.

ShadowPeo    32
ShadowPeo

I have never done an upgrade in place I always wipe and restart as I do not want any old "junk" messing up my pristine server. In fact, I have just done three wipe and moves for a client, but with these, we migrate to another server, wipe and install the new OS and then migrate the next server to that one in a chain which makes it easy.

To Export simply open up Hyper-V manager, shut down the VM. Right click on it and select export. Exporting to a location that is safe for the wipe. This will create a folder structure in the location with the name of the VM. This folder can be moved anywhere you like but must stay intact. To restore, put these folders back on the SSD in a location you want them in, go into the Hyper-V Manager, and go through the import process, and simply register in place (if you want to import to the Hyper-V Folder Structure do it from the other disk as it will copy the entire VHD into locations itself). 

Now one issue that I see with many techs and I have received many panicked calls over is the fact that the VM's do not connect to the network after the migration or export/import process. This is due to the fact that Hyper-V assumes the network adapter names are the same, so it's simply a matter of re-assigning the adapter or making sure the name of the adapter is the same prior to import. To mitigate this I name all my network connections to the network at large as "External" which if you do before migration on the current system, then name the new virtual switch the same it will import and boot up just fine.

Yet another thing is BEFORE you start the server (you can shut down and do it later, but then you have to shut down the server) right click on the imported machine(s) one at a time and run the configuration upgrade. There is no way to do this en-masse for the entire fleet inside the manager, to do it from an ADMINISTRATIVE power shell you can with the following command

Update-VMVersion -Name "SERVER01"

Where SERVER01 is your VM name.  You can input multiple names buy putting a comma between them and each server name in quotation marks

8 minutes ago, Poppapete said:

Pretty sure there is no upgrade path.  You need a fresh install (not cheap either if you have to purchase it retail).  The VM's however should easily transfer.

If I put a 2016 installer into a 2012 server it will allow an "upgrade" but I am not sure whether it is in place or not as I never do an upgrade on a server, or even a client for the most part. I just wipe and start fresh

Justin

Edited by ShadowPeo
Edited due to merge screwing with formatting
  • Like 1

cocksy    0
cocksy
I have never done an upgrade in place I always wipe and restart as I do not want any old "junk" messing up my pristine server. In fact, I have just done three wipe and moves for a client, but with these, we migrate to another server, wipe and install the new OS and then migrate the next server to that one in a chain which makes it easy.

To Export simply open up Hyper-V manager, shut down the VM. Right click on it and select export. Exporting to a location that is safe for the wipe. This will create a folder structure in the location with the name of the VM. This folder can be moved anywhere you like but must stay intact. To restore, put these folders back on the SSD in a location you want them in, go into the Hyper-V Manager, and go through the import process, and simply register in place (if you want to import to the Hyper-V Folder Structure do it from the other disk as it will copy the entire VHD into locations itself). 

Now one issue that I see with many techs and I have received many panicked calls over is the fact that the VM's do not connect to the network after the migration or export/import process. This is due to the fact that Hyper-V assumes the network adapter names are the same, so it's simply a matter of re-assigning the adapter or making sure the name of the adapter is the same prior to import. To mitigate this I name all my network connections to the network at large as "External" which if you do before migration on the current system, then name the new virtual switch the same it will import and boot up just fine.

Yet another thing is BEFORE you start the server (you can shut down and do it later, but then you have to shut down the server) right click on the imported machine(s) one at a time and run the configuration upgrade. There is no way to do this en-masse for the entire fleet inside the manager, to do it from an ADMINISTRATIVE power shell you can with the following command

Update-VMVersion -Name "SERVER01"

Where SERVER01 is your VM name.  You can input multiple names buy putting a comma between them and each server name in quotation marks

If I put a 2016 installer into a 2012 server it will allow an "upgrade" but I am not sure whether it is in place or not as I never do an upgrade on a server, or even a client for the most part. I just wipe and start fresh

Justin
Thanks Justin - great guidance.

Just so I'm clear (so i don't mess up), I need to:

1. Export the VMs to another drive.
2. Clean install of the server 2016.
3. Move the entire folders with the VMs back to the SSD.
4. Boot up the server.
5. Import the VMs.
6. Run the configuration upgrade on each of the on the VMs from hyper-v manager.
7. Update the virtual network adaptor names to get external connection.

Then I'll be good to go! Thanks again.

ShadowPeo    32
ShadowPeo

Pretty Much

• Like 1