RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS

solaralchemist

Hey guys long time listener of the podcast and follower of the forums.

So I have a decision to make, I'm making a V1 box, I currently have 2 cpus available for me to use for the build a Core i3 540 and a Core i7 860, the use for the server will be for general use of the server (back-ups, storage, etc..), but I will also want it to do real time transcoding of my media to my portable devices. the reason I'm asking is I don't know if the i3 can cut it!

I know that the i3 is slower when transcoding and am already leaning towards the i7 but I would really like to know if the i3 can do the transcoding in real time and I would not notice the difference. cause if the i3 can do it I can save the i7 for a different build.

Thanks

Talal

guess I'll stick the i7 in it then, since most of my pcs that do heavy lifting have either i7 920 or i7 860 and I'm used to their transcoding speeds.

just hope it's not over kill! :)

I'm just glad electricity is very cheep in Kuwait!

thanks no-control

Dad's Kuwaiti, Mom's American. you in the ME?

oh and CablDevil, good point definitely putting the i7 in it.

Edited by solaralchemist

For a V1 server or HTPC, go with the 530. The other will only increase your power bill and not much in a WHS performance.

If we are talking about the same motherboard why not try the i3 out and see if you can handle it's transcoding times. If it's too slow switch to the i7. That's a lot of work but I tend to think the i3 would serve you better when the i7 can go into a high power desktop.