RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RESET 31 - Does my NAS look big to you?

Dave

• 2 months later...

Just listened to this. The one thing that jumped out at me was about IoT. I just learned about IoT from a TV show I've started watching. It's called Cyberwar. I'm not sure if it's available outside Canada. Anyway, a recent episode talked about IoT. The show's main point was how vulnerable IoT devices are to hacking. I don't mind saying that it was scary. It made me think I don't want any IoT devices in my house. Thank goodness I unplugged my Sony TV from my network. Mostly I did that because I didn't find the things it offered to be very compelling. But, now that I've seen this show, I have no plans to even consider plugging it back in.

It is an issue but it can be reduced with proper network segmentation through VLAN's but this unfortunately also limits some other functionality. Still this is no replacement for fixing the issues in the first place. What will be more of a concern is a company lets say Samsung and their IoT fridge if they support it for let's say 5 years and issue updates for that, what happens after that they stop support, a good fridge will last a decade or more so we will end up with insecure un-patched devices on the internet. Do they disable the IoT functions, thereby hampering peoples ability to use the device they forked over their hard earned for? or do they open source it? what? what is the EoL procedure for these devices (DBAN your fridge anyone?)

• Like 1

I saw an article recently about a new router that has the ability to create a 'guest network'. I'm not sure how it works, but it seems like it can separate your network devices from your guests' and thereby prevent them from accidentally or deliberately accessing or harming your devices.

I did a little more searching and found another article that talked about setting up a completely separate network for guests to use. That sounded pretty good to me, so I looked a little more and found out that I could do this with my father's Untangle firewall (the one I inherited). According to a couple of responses I got on the Untangle forum, all I needed to do was install another network board in the firewall, and connect it to a wireless router. Untangle would prevent devices connected to the 2 different network boards from talking to each other.

In my father's stash of stuff I found an Intel network board and installed it. I also found an old D-Link DIR615 router. I connected it to the new board in the Untangle and.... it didn't work....:angry:. Some more research and I learned a neat trick. Apparently, if you connect a network cable up to most wireless routers, to one of the non-WAN ports, you bypass the router part and the router basically becomes a wireless access point (thank you Wikipedia for explanation of access point). So I move the network cable from the WAN port to a non-WAN port and, bingo, it works.

And it gets even better: Untangle can do something called an Captive Portal. This makes it so visitors can connect to my guest router, but they can't get to the Internet unless they know the user name and password for a login window that Untangle sends to them. That means people just wandering by the house, or next door, can't just use my connection any time they want.

I'm thinking this guest network might be a very good place to connect IoT devices, so they can't affect my main network. Or, maybe, I could install yet another network card in the Untangle and give any IoT devices a completely separate network of their own.

Sound reasonable?

that's the kind of stuff you can do with a flexible router. the down side is you have to make decisions but it should be forcing you to figure out what you really need/want. enjoy!