RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Home Server Show 115

Dave

Episode 115 is ready for you after the guys take a week off for a much needed vacation. Actually, it was just bad luck that Dave’s vacation landed right in the middle of the biggest news period for Windows Home Server this year. This is a long show and there is plenty to digest. We have news, forums, the Orlando meetup, and plenty of Drive Extender and HP talk. Beware though, Dave has a cold and cough and is a bit cranky throughout! This was a fun episode actually. The live ustream chat was very helpful and interactive with the show’s content.

Server Transfer Manager for Vail

More UPS talk. I think we bring up batter backups every other show!

Battery Replacements for your UPS – Thanks to almock in the live chat.

Paul Thurrot on Drive Extender DE is DEad

Edd Bott on Microsoft communication foulups

Duplicate File Finder Review by MysticGeek

MyMovies for iPad – Complete retraction of previous comments by Dave. This is a must have for MyMovies owners.

This was a fun episode. As bad as I have felt the last couple of days I was worried I wouldn't be able to talk at all. I had fun with the live ustream chat and chatting after the show was completed. You miss out on some cool stuff if you don't tune in!

There is a lot to discuss from this episode. Some may like, some may not. I picked on Linux solutions pretty hard and I hope my point was garbled from all my coughing. My main point is that I want to use WHS v1 or Vail and want a DE like solution to work with Vail. I personally am not interested in learning a new system such as a linux raid server and am not interested in hearing from the Linux fans on how it's so much better than Windows. Each have their strong points and weaknesses.

So let me know what you think. Thanks again to AJ and Walt for joining in Orlando. Another big thanks to the MyMovies guys, Brian, Carl, and all the other devs and mods over at MyMovies.dk. I said your product wasn't worth the price and I was wrong. It's worth more!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• dvn

• geek-accountant

It was a fun show. I got on around 8pm EST and didn't log out until a little after mid-night.

I hope I am not the one bringing out the "wrath of Dave" on the Linux issue, because I am far from a Linux fan boy. I do like unRaid, but am a big MS fan. Funny thing is I normally go for the underdog, which from all the tech press you hear lately seems to be MS so I guess that fits.

Linux has it's place, but after looking at several solutions, nothing comes close to the feature set and easy of use as WHS. As for a desktop OS, Windows 7 is the best workstation OS I have ever used (although I did like Windows NT a lot, and hey and who can forget Windows 3.11?). Web browsing is pretty generic between the OS's, but any serious work (power Excel users, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc) require Windows. Although I hear some people use Apple. :)

I did kinda lose it on the linux thing didn't I? I wasn't directing it towards you either. You have done some good work here in the forums showing us what kind of alternatives are out there and testing them for us. That is appreciated. I'll just refer to my previous post. I would like to see a solution that helps those that want to use Vail and were expecting DE to be included.

No problem Dave, I completely understand. I over dramatized it in a joking manner.

I look forward to the next Vail beta (if it is not killed before then) and hope MS comes up with some magic to replace DE. I also look forward to the next Aurora beta but have not heard anything about when or if a new beta will be coming.

While I love WHS, with or without the product this site is a great place to visit. Heck Windows Home Server doesn't have to mean just WHS, it can mean any Windows based server run in a home environment. Even when Vail comes to market, i may be moving to Aurora anyway.

Dave, I actually completely agreed with what you said about the linux solutions.

Yes, if you have the technical knowledge to deal with it, I'm sure you could get 99% of the functionality of WHS from a linux install and it would work flawlessly once it's set up.

For me, the problem is not when it's working, it's when there's a problem. I've had configuration issues before with linux installs that took weeks to resolve with hours and hours of googling and posting on forums and getting feedback only to have discover that my problem was related to a config setting in a file buried ten levels down that was never updated in the current documentation, but is a 'known' issue. The second time something like that happened, I just simply said "Never again".

Part of what Windows Home Server provides is the security and confidence that your data is protected. Based on my experiences, I would never feel confident that I'd be able to successfully troubleshoot or resolve problems with a linux box that stored all my critical data.

(And yes, I happen to be a highly technical person and am more than willing to give any technology a decent shot. I had an LTSP environment going for a while, and ran a telnet BBS from linux as well, so it's not like complex environments are intimidating. For me personally, I just would never get the peace of mind that I do from WHS so it's a complete non-starter.)

Wow, Dave. Way to hate on Linux! :P

Maybe it was your cold, but you sounded more curmudgeonly this episode. I could easily imagine a cranky old man railing against change: "I want my damn Windows server -- none of this newfangled Linux or WebOS crap!"

I also was hearing a somewhat battered co-dependent who isn't getting any love from Microsoft, but won't even look at anything else.

Personally, even if Vail becomes a real product, I'm not sure I can convince my customers that it will be around in a robust way for very long, given recent events. This news is making me evaluate other home-server type platforms, just to keep my options open.

I wouldn't normally use an unsupported Linux box for customer applications, but if a 3rd party outfit (like a Tranquil) licensed and supported it, I'd give it some consideration.

I also was hearing a somewhat battered co-dependent who isn't getting any love from Microsoft, but won't even look at anything else.
You are too funny with the therapist/councelor shtick, but listen again. I heard Dave say he's checked out every Linux offering he could over the years, and he prefers MS products.

I didn't get that far into the podcast yet. Cant wait to hear the rant on my way home via my Driod hahaha JK ill play it through my Cowon J3 oh yea thats linux based also. =)

You are too funny with the therapist/councelor shtick, but listen again. I heard Dave say he's checked out every Linux offering he could over the years, and he prefers MS products.

I heard that too -- but I know VERY few people who "check out" Linux for more than a few hours or a day-or-two. Most (myself included) try a distro for a quick look, or put it in a virtual server and then go right back to what they were using. I'm just not willing to write it off as something I won't ever consider, especially with MS giving us all the cold shoulder lately.

I do have a few Linux USB keys which get used regularly for partitioning, virus scanning, or just to be able to surf securely. Ubuntu and Mint are pretty easy to use and friendly. If it weren't for some apps and games, I might give them a shot as my main OS. Games are the killer -- can't play L4D2 or BlackOps on Linux. At least not yet.

On another topic....anyone here think we might eventually see HP try a WebOS appliance that does a lot of what WHS does?

I didn't mean to really hate on linux. We (most) all use a flavor of it here and there. It does have its place on the internet so I don't hate it. Every web server I've ever been on has been a flavor of linux and I wouldn't choose anything else. I just don't want to go switching over to a new system when there is nothing wrong with the v1 that I have today. I was looking forward to Vail being complete like v1 due to it being 64 bit. It's much more than just file duplication for me and I would guess many others. Take a look at the add-ins you run. Example, MyMovies. It works great with WHS, media center, and portable devices. I don't want to spend ages trying to recreate that on a file system such as Flex or unRaid. I would also rather not run two different systems.