RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LEAGOO KIICAA MIX 4G Phablet for Project fi $69.99

Dave

I'm starting a new series of GearBest phones and tablets.  I'll be looking at a few online and reviewing a few in had.  One of the things I'm going to be doing is looking at them from a standpoint of "Does it work with Project fi?"  With Project fi you can get a tablet SIM shipped to you for free.  The data you use comes off of your plan and there is no monthly fee to use a tablet SIM.  Fantastic way to treat your customers! Let them use their data!  Get Project fi here and save $20 for both of us.  Back to the Phablet.

Use the link below to check out the phone/tablet and shop some GearBest!

LEAGOO KIICAA MIX 4G Phablet

Sweet edge to edge screen on this one.

Promo Price: $109.99

Coupon Price: $69.99

Coupon Code: GBLGMIX 

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_681619.html?lkid=11234773

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 9.24.14 AM.png

Main Features:
LEAGOO KIICAA MIX 4G Phablet Android 7.0 5.5 inch MTK6750T Octa Core 1.5GHz 3GB RAM 32GB ROM 13.0MP + 2.0MP Dual Rear Cameras Front Fingerprint Scanner
Display: 5.5 inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixel screen
CPU: MTK6750T Octa Core 1.5GHz
System: Android 7.0
RAM + ROM: 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM
Camera: 13.0MP front camera + 13.0MP + 2.0MP back cameras
Sensor: E-Compass, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Touch Sensor
SIM Card: dual SIM dual standby. Nano + Nano SIM
Feature: GPSA / GPS
Bluetooth: 4.0
Network:
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B5/B7/B8/B20 TDD-LTE B40

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 9.24.03 AM.png

Dave, the prices on these things are crazy cheap, and it's tempting to want to go this route.  But these are from manufacturers that I've never heard of before, and I am wary of unfamiliar things.

Do you have concerns about these devices coming with malware built in?  At these prices I worry less about warranties and product durability, but what about the security risks that come with them?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/kryptowire-adups-news/

On 9/3/2017 at 1:28 PM, BSR said:

Dave, the prices on these things are crazy cheap, and it's tempting to want to go this route.  But these are from manufacturers that I've never heard of before, and I am wary of unfamiliar things.

Do you have concerns about these devices coming with malware built in?  At these prices I worry less about warranties and product durability, but what about the security risks that come with them?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/kryptowire-adups-news/

Great question! I share your concern and I usually steer away from devices that do not have clear path of ownership, who is running the company? That said I have experimented with Windows 10 tablets from Gearbest; the brands I have tried are Chuwi, Teclast and Onda. They all have worked well and have not exhibited any noticeably bad behavior. I have used them as consumption devices only. No mounting network drives, no install of OneDrive-Dropbox-Box and they are on my guest WiFi network. I have asked friends in enterprise security if there is a way to test for malware hidden in firmware. The general answer is to look at network traffic that it out of place, devices trying to communicate with locations that they should not. At one point I believe some of the MDM vendors were looking at ways to monitor this type of issue on the device.

I think it's a legitimate concern. It's most certainly not a company we hear about day to day. It's possible to happen with any manufacturer though. Didn't Lenovo or someone like that have a malware scare a few years back?

Part of me kind of Geeks out thinking about the network security you guys would use to combat a problem as such. Yet, part of me thinks that if I have to worry about that maybe I don't need that inexpensive device after all. Having said that, I did get a tablet to mess around with.
It's not a daily driver though.

I know a lot of folks shop this site so my hope is there isn't an issue in the future. I say do what you are comfortable with.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.