RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Printing and Scanning

deboots

I've been checking out the forums for information on printing and scanning. I'm running the latest build of Vail and was able to attach my HP PSC 2210 all-in-one directly to the server via USB. I found the printer driver from Microsoft using Windows Update. I was able to connect this printer on my remote machines so they can easily print.

However, I don't seem to be able to use the scanner at all, either on my remote machines or on the Vail box itself. Does anyone have a possible solution? At present I have to disconnect the printer from my server and connect it to another PC to make use of the scanner function.

How does the scanner function normally work? Can you scan from any machine on the network? Does it use a special program from HP to "capture" the scanner so you scan to a specific computer? I am not familiar with the all-in-one devices so that is why I am asking.

My Canon all-in-one will only use the scanning app connected directly to a PC. If I try to use a wireless USB box to connect it to the network all functions but the printer disappear. Can you connect to the Vail server and run the scan app from there?

My next question was "Did you install the HP software on the server?".

Home printers from HP generally only install a stripped down printer-only driver onto Server 2003/WHS. I tried to get my Office Jet 8500A to scan to the WHS share and none of the scanning functions will work. That includes connecting an all in one to the WHS; if you do, you'll only get printer drivers to install.

Jim

Your best bet is to install the AIO device to a client and map a drive to the server to where the documents would be scanned to. Directly connected to the server, the printing function should be straight forward, but do not expect to be able to scan from a client.

How does the scanner function normally work? Can you scan from any machine on the network? Does it use a special program from HP to "capture" the scanner so you scan to a specific computer? I am not familiar with the all-in-one devices so that is why I am asking.

When I first bought the computer it was connected to a Windows XP machine and I had to use the included HP software, which was bloated, slow and loathsome. I updated to Windows 7 a while ago and HP does not offer the same software for this OS. Instead there's a simple driver which Windows 7 provides for you, and you use the included Windows 7 Fax and Scan application instead of the HP software. This is highly preferable as it does not bog down my system.

But with all the connected devices in my home, I am much more interested in networking this device so it's accessible to all the machines on my network. There does not seem to be a Windows Fax and Scan application readily available in Vail, but if someone knows of a way to get a scanning client that would run under Vail, it would allow me to scan without having to unplug the all-in-one from my server and connect it to a PC/Laptop.

Your best bet is to install the AIO device to a client and map a drive to the server to where the documents would be scanned to. Directly connected to the server, the printing function should be straight forward, but do not expect to be able to scan from a client.

I considered this as a possible solution, but I don't like the notion that I would have to keep another PC local to the printer powered on all the time along with the server so that I could print from a third or fourth remote machine when I want to. I'd rather have the printer connected to the server most of the time to facilitate network printing which would be the most common use.

There is one way you might try and there is no guarantee it will work.

Share the device as you would normally would for a home network ("Everyone" for the Share and Security Permissions). Windows 7 should be "smart enough" to be able find the device as long as you Share it properly and use the built in Scan & Fax application.

My setup at home is an SBS server with a Dell 966 (I think) AIO printer/scanner connected via USB. I use DNS for the port since the server is also a DNS server and use Acrobat Pro for scanning documents. Your setup should be similar since Vail is based on Server 2008 also. Using DNS for the port just makes it easier to find, you will most likely have to use the IP Address of the server to assign the port assignment. Just make sure the server has a reservation given out by your router.

It might take some tweaking but doable. Just make sure the device is properly shared, and do it manually, not thru a wizard. Get the latest drivers for the printer but if 2008 drivers are not available, you may be able to "rollback" the drivers to act under a 2003 environment.