RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ncage1974

Backup Solution?

Ncage1974

Hi Everyone. As probably most of you are aware of crashplan has decided they don't want to service the home industry anymore and i'm not interested in their business plan. I was relatively happy with the service overall except memory consumption of the backup software (because it uses java). I'm backup in the neighborhood of ~100GB. I'm investigating every possibility and maybe thinking maybe just storing my backups locally rather in the cloud would be better. Yes that doesn't protect me from fires but if i have a fire i'm sure i would have more to worry about than that. Anyways that being said i would of course prefer the cloud. 

What matters to me is:
1. Private encryption key

2. Descent prices of course

3. No limit as to the file types backuped

4. Either unlimited version history or at least a very generous one (think protection for cryptomalware)

5. Good backup software

6. Being able to backup over a UNC path would be nice.

7. Software that works on linux would be nice but not necessary. 

What i've investigated so far

1. IDrive - like that they have unlimited computers but you have to pay for a storage cap which seems ok. They have a seeding feature & they will ship a drive to your door in a disaster which is awesome.

2. Backblaze - So far i'm not liking that they get rid of files that are deleted after 30 days but unlimited storage is nice. The restore process is cumbersome because you can't do it through the software but must do it though their website

Thought about sync software like dropbox & google drive. The new backup feature of google drive would be convienent  because you wouldn't have to store it under the "main" folder and could choose other folders for it to backup. Both dropbox & google drive has version history up to 30 days which is no worse that some of the backup solutions. I just don't know how they solutions would work with large folder structures with lots of files.

The other option is using software like cloudberry or arq and backup up to some cloud storage provider like amazon, google, or azure.  What do you guys do/recommend?

Of course if i decide to only backup locally i would have find backup software i like

schoondoggy

Have you reviewed this thread? If you are happy with Crashplan Home, Crashplan Pro could be very affordable with the discounts they are offering:

Dave

Good points. Sounds like RESET 30! http://reset.fm/30

At under 100gb you have a ton of choices. If it were my data I would sync it in multiple locations. How many times do you restore? As painful as it may be to do a restore I'm always thrilled to be able to! I've only needed it once or twice.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.

• Like 1

Ncage1974
19 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

Have you reviewed this thread? If you are happy with Crashplan Home, Crashplan Pro could be very affordable with the discounts they are offering:

I just looked. While the 75% off is a great deal it only last for a year. After that you'll be paying full price. To bad they wouldn't let existing customers continue with a small discount on the buisness plan. For example a 25% discount for life would have been awesome. I just calculated what it would cost me to store my data (which i found out was actually 200GB rather than 100GB). For amazon glacier it would be $.50 a month. Even for their hot storage (S3) it would be only $3 something a month. Then i realized i have a 1TB of onedrive storage that is free. That would probably be perfect for my needs. So arqbackup is looking better & better especially considering with 1 license i can run it on as many computers as i like.

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

Good points. Sounds like RESET 30! http://reset.fm/30

At under 100gb you have a ton of choices. If it were my data I would sync it in multiple locations. How many times do you restore? As painful as it may be to do a restore I'm always thrilled to be able to! I've only needed it once or twice.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.

Hi Dave. I actually was incorrect in my original post. I actually have ~200GB but its still not much compared with some people. I've had crashplan for ~7 years and only had to restore a handful of times and they restores were really small

schoondoggy

You could use Allway Sync to sync your folders to your OneDrive folder.

Ncage1974
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

You could use Allway Sync to sync your folders to your OneDrive folder.

I looked at it and it looks interesting. Correct me if i'm wrong but if you pre-encrypted before you sent to onedrive wouldn't that pretty much get rid of any version history. So if you got hit by cryptomalware you would be SOL because the files would immediately uploaded to onedrive and since on onedrive it would just be an encrypted blog so you would be stuck?

schoondoggy

Services like OneDrive are not good protection from Ransomware, as they are always on and available. To keep your backups safe from Ransomware you need storage that is decoupled from your system. This could be as simple as an external USB drive that you disconnect or power down after backup or a cloud based service that separates backup images from your system. As for encryption, if I am not mistaken Ransomware can encrypt encrypted files.

• Like 1