RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

eero is going for smarthome integrators with POE and RSM (Remote Systems Management)

Dave

Power over Ethernet.  Words always found on my eero wishlist.  According to Julie Jacobson at CEPro, eero is edging ever closer to this reality. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 9.36.17 PM.png

Demonstrated at CEDIA 2017 in September, the solutions will be “exclusively available to the channel,” says Eero sales exec Doug Bieter in an interview with CE Pro.

http://www.cepro.com/article/eero_cozies_up_to_channel_with_poe_and_remote_network_management

Yes, but can I have it at my home?  The POE that is?  RMS looks great for integrators but also "carries a fee" according to eero.  We'll have to wait to see if anymore information comes out of CEDIA. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 9.36.28 PM.png

I've found a little more information.

PoE+ Adapter The new eero PoE+ Adapter supports ethernet wired homes and allows 2nd generation eeros to be powered by ethernet cables. The mount makes it possible for eeros to be installed on the ceiling or wall, and it comes with a polished plastic cover designed to hide wiring. Both the mount and cover were developed by the team at eero with the same attention to detail and commitment to elegance as eero’s hardware. Using the eero system with the PoE+ Adapter and mount will allow each access point to be placed wherever is most convenient and effective, providing customers with a dependable WiFi experience throughout their home.

Professional installers will be able to purchase the PoE+ Adapter and mount from major distributors including Access Networks, Catalyst AV Group, PowerHouse Alliance, and Wave Electronics later this year. The remote network management tool will also be available later this year. For more information visit pro.eero.com.Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 9.46.28 PM.png

Just to clarify, the gen 2 eero is not POE capable.  This POE device/adapter is a splitter.  Power over Ethernet comes to the splitter and it will strip the power off of the Ethernet and route it via USB cable.  The adapter has a case that will hide all the wiring.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully us normal folk can find them via eBay or some other unofficial channel. There are some splitters on Amazon that would accomplish the same thing but I like the integrated mount.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2017 at 7:27 AM, Dave said:

Just to clarify, the gen 2 eero is not POE capable.  This POE device/adapter is a splitter.  Power over Ethernet comes to the splitter and it will strip the power off of the Ethernet and route it via USB cable.  The adapter has a case that will hide all the wiring.  

This sounds overly complicated. I don't understand why they wouldn't just make the access point PoE itself. I really like the idea of the 'beacons', especially that they can just plug into an AC outlet. However, overall, it seems like eero is not quite ready for my house.