RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
luckyfabian@gmail.com

Windows 2016 build on what Server...

luckyfabian@gmail.com

Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). 

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually

Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.

Thanks in advance,

Lucky

Edited by luckyfabian@gmail.com
amend and add

Drashna Jaelre

The licensing is .... awkward, at best.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/9/7290EA05-DC56-4BED-9400-138C5701F174/WS2016LicensingDatasheet.pdf

It comes with 2 "sets" of licenses.  Each license is for 8 cores.  Meaning that you're set for 16 cores. 

For most systems, this is fine and will cover everything that you'd buy.  This move was due to the whole rapidly increasing core count by AMD and Intel (seriously 20+ cores on a single CPU!).   So unless you're running high end hardware, you will be fine with with just the single copy.  But yes, Microsoft sure didn't make this easy to understand for the average person.

16GB of RAM is a good amount, but that depends on what you're doing. For the most part, you should be fine.

However, the VM rights isn't for Windows 10/etc, it's for 2x Server 2016 VMs. meaning that you can run two additional instances of Server 2016. 

As for physical ability, yes, it should be able to.  If you could run 2012R2 HyperV, then you should be able to run the 2016 version.