Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

CrashPlan is shutting down consumer side, going business only

Recommended Posts

jsox

I just migrated my 2.6TB of Crashplan Home to Crashplan Business. Took less than 5 minutes. Lost nothing. Had to re-upload nothing. Will cost me $2.50 / month starting July 2018 and $10 / month starting July 2019. Who knows, maybe by July 2019 I'll plan on doing something else, but in the meantime this was simple and easy for me and I have a great deal of faith in Crashplan.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GavinCampbell
31 minutes ago, jsox said:

I just migrated my 2.6TB of Crashplan Home to Crashplan Business. Took less than 5 minutes. Lost nothing. Had to re-upload nothing. Will cost me $2.50 / month starting July 2018 and $10 / month starting July 2019. Who knows, maybe by July 2019 I'll plan on doing something else, but in the meantime this was simple and easy for me and I have a great deal of faith in Crashplan.

 

I was going to do the same shortly too. Seems like a no brainer.

 

Does the business version use different backup software?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jsox

Does the business version use different backup software?

 

I run Crashplan on a Windows Home Server 2011 box (HP N40L). After upgrading (maybe a couple of hours later) I logged into that box and the software came up with "Crashplan Pro" as its name. But it was still running a local backup  and a backup to the cloud, same as it was before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

I’ve been running CrashPlan for Small Business to backup my WSE12R2 box and a family Mac with photos. Took advantage of the $4.98/mo combined cost for the past year. Now $19.98/mo just kicked in.

Am now exploring other options. Never used Backblaze. Understand they don’t support server OS.

Until another viable option surfaces, I’ll pay for CP SB option since data backup is invaluable. Just seems like time to pursue a new route.

Who else (provider) are you using to backup to cloud these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GavinCampbell
22 hours ago, Jason said:

I’ve been running CrashPlan for Small Business to backup my WSE12R2 box and a family Mac with photos. Took advantage of the $4.98/mo combined cost for the past year. Now $19.98/mo just kicked in.

Am now exploring other options. Never used Backblaze. Understand they don’t support server OS.

Until another viable option surfaces, I’ll pay for CP SB option since data backup is invaluable. Just seems like time to pursue a new route.

Who else (provider) are you using to backup to cloud these days?

 

I'm in the same boat.  I've tried BackBlaze and Carbonite and they both have the same issue where they don't do network shares or install on the server OS.  Another option is idrive.  It has no restrictions and installs on everything.  It seems to good to be true but I installed the trial and it looks good.  You can give that one a try and see.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revengineer
Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2019 at 4:13 PM, Jason said:

I’ve been running CrashPlan for Small Business to backup my WSE12R2 box and a family Mac with photos. Took advantage of the $4.98/mo combined cost for the past year. Now $19.98/mo just kicked in.

Am now exploring other options. Never used Backblaze. Understand they don’t support server OS.

Until another viable option surfaces, I’ll pay for CP SB option since data backup is invaluable. Just seems like time to pursue a new route.

Who else (provider) are you using to backup to cloud these days?

Mirror the files on your Mac to your server and save $9.99. I have been charged $9.99 for my server and it is not so horrible that I will start fresh elsewhere. I have 2+ TB at crashplan and brief research shows that it won't be cheaper elsewhere. I agree that it is sad that the $2.49/month honeymoon period is over.

Edited by revengineer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

Thanks. Been thinking same thing. Am hard-pressed to find something as good as CP for Small Biz, despite its quirks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowPeo

I had not used Crashplan in years so I was not affected by the change. However, I will +1 the aggregation technique  I aggregate everything to my RS2416+ and then move it to BackBlaze B2. I have gone with BackBlaze over many of the other offerings because they have a disk mailout service so I do not need to pull TB's of data back down

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe_Miner
On 3/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, revengineer said:

Mirror the files on your Mac to your server and save $9.99. I have been charged $9.99 for my server and it is not so horrible that I will start fresh elsewhere. I have 2+ TB at crashplan and brief research shows that it won't be cheaper elsewhere. I agree that it is sad that the $2.49/month honeymoon period is over.

 

I haven't found a better solution to using crashplan on my server.  It just went up to $10/month last month so annually it's about the price of one hard drive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
up7500

I just stayed with Crash Plan because it works and I have had no problems with it for my WHS2011. Eventually I will have to move off WHS2011 and probably go to some kind of NAS, at that point I will have to think about switching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...