RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

CrashPlan is shutting down consumer side, going business only

revengineer
34 minutes ago, kpratte said:

And what further complicates things is that Crashplan runs on Server OSes and Linux.  Backblaze runs on neither of those which seems to be the case for many of the cloud backup solutions.

I was wondering about server operation of backblaze. We have all valuable data centrally stored on a server with read access for everyone. So the server is the only machine I need to backup. Given your comment, backblaze is not an option for me.

Jason

Just bit bullet and upgraded to CP Pro. Estimated to take ~80 days to complete my backup. Knew it would take a while. Figured I'd start the process sooner the better. At $2.50/mo Unlimited for my Windows Server, I've had great experience with CP over time and have no problem supporting and even recommending their service. At a glance, the CP Pro web dashboard for small business is very informative.

revengineer
14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Just bit bullet and upgraded to CP Pro. Estimated to take ~80 days to complete my backup. Knew it would take a while. Figured I'd start the process sooner the better. At $2.50/mo Unlimited for my Windows Server, I've had great experience with CP over time and have no problem supporting and even recommending their service. At a glance, the CP Pro web dashboard for small business is very informative.

Did you have more than 5 TB so that they could not convert your existing backed up data?

Jason

Yes, I had closer to 8 TB. Seems some (approx 2 TB) must've migrated as the delta schedules for backup is currently 6 TB. Not sure whether, over time, I actually had 6 TB of data but another 2 TB(ish) of versions. If that makes sense? Nevertheless, I've kicked off the backup from my server running CP Pro.

Additionally, after migrating from CP Home to CP Pro, the server's CP client app was immediately and seamlessly upgraded and backup initiated.

kpratte

How did you get $2.50/mo ?   This was another thing that is drawing me to using Crashplan: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362675,00.asp  About halfway down the page is the upload times..  Crashplan took 59 seconds to upload 100MB while Backblaze was 4 minutes 49 seconds, ouch.

revengineer
11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes, I had closer to 8 TB. Seems some (approx 2 TB) must've migrated as the delta schedules for backup is currently 6 TB. Not sure whether, over time, I actually had 6 TB of data but another 2 TB(ish) of versions. If that makes sense? Nevertheless, I've kicked off the backup from my server running CP Pro.

Additionally, after migrating from CP Home to CP Pro, the server's CP client app was immediately and seamlessly upgraded and backup initiated.

Thanks, that explains it. Wanted to make sure that I won't run into that with my 2 TB.

5 minutes ago, kpratte said:

How did you get $2.50/mo ?   This was another thing that is drawing me to using Crashplan: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362675,00.asp  About halfway down the page is the upload times..  Crashplan took 59 seconds to upload 100MB while Backblaze was 4 minutes 49 seconds, ouch.

The email they sent me stated 75% off for the first year after expiration of current subscription. On $10/month regular price that implies cost is $2.50/month.

• Like 1

kpratte

Ahh bummer, I've been one of those folks that used the Peer to Peer feature and wasn't paying a dime, so I doubt I'll get any of discount.  I will say after running Crashplan for many years, that it worked great.  I backed up to my parents house and all of my family backed up to me.

• Like 1

Jason

Btw the CP Pro web UI is awesome. You can remotely configure every setting of the Windows Server client app via web and the settings are synced to the client app level. Also provides vast detail and reporting without having to RDP to the server to view the client app.

jsox

I have 10 months left on my subscription. Plus two more months free. I've been completely satisfied with CP so far on my WHS2011 server. I backup only the one computer. I have less than 5TB of data. Converting from CPH to CPSB and kicking the decision down the road for another 24 months seems like a sensible thing to do right now. I'll probably wait at least several days in case someone here comes up with a better idea...

timekills

I'm somewhat surprised at the number of us willing to move to the other offerings CP is now providing.

While I've been a satisfied customer for probably five years, this decision with relatively small willingness from CP's part to assist in migration makes me less than enthusiastic about remaining with them.

I have (only(?)) 1.6TB of data backed up to them, and really not even all that is critical. 

I could get another MS OneDrive TB account or more for the price they're asking. 

Anyhow - I appreciate them giving us some time, but this is at least the second data backup company that has decided to eschew its "home-based" customers after using them to build up its service.

Thanks, CrashPlan. It was nice while it lasted.