RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

CrashPlan is shutting down consumer side, going business only

clint

I think I pay $60ish US a year and paid for 2 years. 

I will happily move over to the small business plan, as a MSP I started using Crash Plan for my home server after reading about it here and the podcast, and now I actively resell it to my customers, I just hope I can move my home plan over to my reseller account without having to re-upload as the internet in Australia is 3rd world.   

Anyway just wanted to pop in and say thanks to @Dave for putting me on to this great product. and the podcasts over the years, I would love to make it to meet up this year but already have too much on that month. 

• Like 1

revengineer

I did the conversion yesterday following the instructions in the email. It took 5 minutes and went without problem. By the time I logged into the server, the software was already updated.

I briefly looked into backblaze and was turned off by their restore process. It seemed that your are downloading zip files of your data. I can't imagine doing this for anything larger than a few gigs.

I have been with Crashplan for 5 years personally and we use the enterprise version at work. The software and system always performed flawlessly in the few cases I needed it.

Dave

Great points and thanks for clearing that up.

I can't even imagine having 50 tb! If you did, uploading 45 again would be a pain. Might as well so the 5 too. Part of the paint point is just that. Re-uploading.
I do think the business plan is good though. If I were still server based it would be my choice.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.

GavinCampbell

After listening to RESET 30 I'm going to stick with Crashplan until the deal on the business plan ends.  That is too good of a price and will give me almost two years before I have to think about it again.  I only have about 2TB of data and unlimited bandwidth so its not as big of a deal as those of us with much more.  After that deal expires I will have to review my backup plan at that point and may just have to use the bent paperclip on it.  :)

On a side note I was looking at using Arq Backup.  For $50 this app will backup your data to a cloud service of your choice.  Also keeps incremental backups (such as daily, monthly, yearly) and has other cloud management features.  Looking at amazon cloud drive I could get unlimited space for about 60$/year.  I also like how the client also backs up network shares.  I haven't had a chance to look into other apps to access the data but it looks pretty good.

• Like 1

revengineer
21 hours ago, Dave said:

Great points and thanks for clearing that up.

I can't even imagine having 50 tb! If you did, uploading 45 again would be a pain. Might as well so the 5 too. Part of the paint point is just that. Re-uploading.
I do think the business plan is good though. If I were still server based it would be my choice.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.

Just to be clear I do not have 50 TB, I am not crazy. But I saw this discussed on the digital hoarders sub-reddit.

Jason

Check out Cloudberry backup too as an alternative to Arq. Currently using Cloudberry as a secondary backup of my WSE12R2 to Amazon Glacier.

Now testing Cloudberry Backup for Mac to my WSE12R2. Want to see if I can backup the Mac to WS network share. Then, in turn, backup that data to CrashPlan Small Business.

revengineer
10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Check out Cloudberry backup too as an alternative to Arq. Currently using Cloudberry as a secondary backup of my WSE12R2 to Amazon Glacier.

Now testing Cloudberry Backup for Mac to my WSE12R2. Want to see if I can backup the Mac to WS network share. Then, in turn, backup that data to CrashPlan Small Business.

Looked at this earlier today and the math did not check out. The server license is $120 and has a 1TB limit. to lift that limit you need the ultimate license, which costs $300. Needless to say that these prices do not include storage. This may be a viable solution for my kids going to college (desktop license much cheaper) but not for my server system.

timekills
12 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

...Looking at amazon cloud drive I could get unlimited space for about 60$/year.

Not anymore, unfortunately. 100 GB for $11.99, 1TB for $59.99 with each additional TB costing another $59.99/TB.

I am a subscriber to ACD through my discounted Prime membership, and a few months ago we subscribers started getting this information:

Amazon no longer offers an unlimited storage plan. You can stay on your existing plan until the end of your subscription, or visit Manage Storage to see the new plan options. New annual storage plans start at 100 GB for $11.99, 1 TB for $59.99, and up to 30 TB for an additional $59.99 per TB.