Dave

CrashPlan is shutting down consumer side, going business only

Dave    277
Dave

That is not a link bait headline! 

Important Changes to 
CrashPlan® for Home Service

Effective August 22, 2017, Code42 will no longer offer new – or renew – CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, and we will begin to sunset the product over several months. 
CrashPlan for Home will no longer be available for use starting October 23, 2018.

At Code42, protecting your data is important to us. As we shift our business strategy to focus exclusively on enterprise and small business segments, you have two great options to continue getting the best backup solution.

Please read on to determine how this change will impact your CrashPlan for Home subscription and what steps you should take to ensure a smooth transition to a new backup solution.

https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/

What about your data?  If you are a home subscriber you will get 60 days on top of your normal expiration date.

or...

You can migrate your data to their Small Business Plan for the remainder of your subscription and 75% off for the next 12 months.

or...

Surprisingly enough, CrashPlan is pushing home subs to Carbonite!  https://www.carbonite.com/

How much does a Small Business Plans cost?

$10 a month

It's $10 a month per device though. If you are using multiple your price is going up.  There are a lot of caveats however. You can move over 5TB and there is no computer to computer backup option.  The 75% discount sounds like a decent deal but it makes me nervous with so much data moving about and changes happening.  I would first and foremost, make sure you have your CP data backed up somewhere else.  Then decide what your next move is.

If you are a CrashPlan subscriber you need to read up and read well.  It's a sad day in my opinion.  CrashPlan was held in very high regard throughout the years here in these forums.  Stay tuned to this thread and the RESET podcast as we break this down and discuss options.

Read NOW!

https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/

~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~

Discussed this thread on the latest RESET Podcast.

http://reset.fm/30

Edited by Dave
Added podcast to bottom

schoondoggy    588
schoondoggy

Message from Code42 CEO:

Dave    277
Dave

That video will not direct embed.  It was the CEO stating pretty much what is on the website.  Move to carbonite, free up our data centers, or pay the Small Business fees.

Just curious. What were you guys paying for the home product?  I have not used it for several years due to moving away from a server.  NAS and CP never played very well together. 

Lastly, on the bright side, you are now free of that memory hog of a software that CrashPlan was!

Gloves off!

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 3.05.18 PM.png

ImTheTypeOfGuy    31
ImTheTypeOfGuy

I paid something like $75 for five years of unlimited storage. It doesn't expire until June 2019 but I am already dreading the thought of having to upload all of my content to another cloud system. This sucks!

Jason    56
Jason

I am on the CP Individual Unlimited Plan ($59) with approx 6 TB+ that has accumulated over time. Back up some clients to my WSE12R2 which in turn is backed up from WSE12R2 to CP Cloud. Have had zero issues and memory usage hasn't been a concern. Their service has been absolutely bulletproof.

Haven't yet looked at what the cost would be for same usage with their Small Business option. If simply $10/mo for 1 PC (my WSE12R2) box or $120/yr, I wouldn't be opposed although it is 2X my current cost.

Al_Borges    52
Al_Borges

Well this sucks!

Been using crashplan since I won a years license at a HSS meetup a few years ago.

Been working great and its saved my bacon a couple of times.

very Happy customer

I like the way that Code42 is handling this transition 

would consider paying the extra 50 bucks a year for their small business version - at least that will let me kick the the can on a  decision for a year or two

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jason    56
Jason

Al, completely agree. Is the $10/mo per device CP Small Business cloud storage option unlimited?