RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Drobo - Windows Home Server's New Best Friend" emailed promotion

tinkererguy

This $100 off promotion came up recently here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1485-drobo-not-wasting-an-opportunity/page__view__findpost__p__14072__hl__drobo__fromsearch__1

Today, Dec 9 @ 4am eastern time, Drobo emailed this promotion, saying:

Are you feeling stranded by Microsoft's decision to cancel Drive Extender as part of Windows Home Server? Over 150,000 Drobo owners are sleeping well knowing Drobo is keeping their data safe. Drobo is like a disk drive that doesn't get full or lose data. Its the right technology upgrade to replace the discontinued Drive Extender. Watch a product demo here.

With a Drobo, you can use your existing server for many more years simply by increasing the storage connected to it. If you are looking to replace your WHS, then Drobo FS provides the world's easiest to use file sharing experience. Share data on your network of PCs (Macs and Linux systems are supported, too). Get more info on Drobo FS.

Also, for a limited time. Drobo is offering We Got Served readers special discounts through December 20, 2010.

<GRAPHICAL TABLE>

In addition, get $100 off Drobo bundled with hard drives, $150 off Drobo FS or Drobo S bundles, or $200 off DroboPro bundles.*

For US and Canada, click here and enter the code SERVED.

For EU and UK, click here and enter the code SERVEDUK for currency in £ or SERVEDEU for currency in €**

Contact us at sales@drobo.com or 1-866-973-7626 with any questions on this program or any other assistance you may need deciding which product best suits your data storage requirements.

Sincerely,

The Data Robotics Team

*Valid only with purchases through Drobostore. Not valid with other promotions. Savings in £ and € are equivalent amounts.

**Does not include VAT and shipping.

I just got that email too! (Surprise, surprise!) Some fairly good savings thru We Got Served.

I have a Drobo coming any day now for review and I will do some posts around v1, Vail beta 2 and the newest beta whenever that comes out. Watch for that on the blog.

If you have any question that you would like me to cover, ask them here. I will do what I can.

Guest no-control

I'm curious as to the the turtle's performance relative to other NAS boxes and WHS.

What unit are you testing?

Does the unit actually feel like it's worth full retail?

How well does it handle a mix of older and advanced format drives?

Hi, I work @ Drobo and will keep up with the forums to help address Drobo questions.

I think the unit Jim will be testing is the USB2.0 or Firewire800 connect version with 4 drive bays. Drobo also has a 5 bay system that has USB3.0 and eSATA in addition to FW800, and maybe this could be tested in the future. That product is designed for creative professionals doing photo and video editing, performance is great for those cases, but the drawback for use with WHS is that it retails for $799 ($699 with the discount code). For now, I too am interested to see how the testing comes out both with today's WHS and with Vail.

One thing users of Drobo really like is that they can mix very old drives with the latest drives. I do demos with ancient 40 & 80G drives that work great, because they fill up faster and I can demo thin provisioning easier and show the lights moving vs having to copy several TB to show it filling up or freeing up. Drobo will support 3TB drives in a firmware release for most products by the end of February, the Drobo S model will be next week, and Drobo 4-bay will be in early January just after CES, larger products for business after that.

I will say that Drobo is not for everyone; some enthusiasts prefer to have more control and more options, and the smallest systems for home use were not designed for benchmark performance. rather they target the the common use cases for home users. Jeffla in his comment on Episode 114 captured the Drobo design center really well, folks who like Drobo see it as a hard drive that never breaks and never gets full, and they need know nothing more than traffic lights (red, yellow green) to do all of the RAID management. Given the ability to expand forever today to 12TB in 4 bays and beyond as drives get bigger, it is a good value at list price, and a great deal with the discount code.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the testing.

Thanks for the update Mario. The Drobo unit should be arriving early this week. Will take some time to so some set up and testing. We should start seeing some posts as early as this weekend if I can get my act together.

Mike and AJ, thanks for the questions. Will keep them in mind as I am putting the review together.

Welcome Mario!

Going little bit off a tangent here, but not much..

Just finished reading this article and it had an intresting comment at the end:

Does that mean Drobo would become a Windows Home Server OEM and ships a Vail box themselves?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to buying that.

Going little bit off a tangent here, but not much..

Does that mean Drobo would become a Windows Home Server OEM and ships a Vail box themselves?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to buying that.

Hmmm.....the WinDrobo. Has a nice ring to it!

Guest no-control

That interview was weak. simple questions followed by three paragraphs of marketing spin speak. I had to pick out the relevant information to get to any facts. I don't think they did that great of a job representing their product.