Dave

Automated Locks Question for you

GavinCampbell    11
GavinCampbell
18 hours ago, ETBrown said:

An update on my Yale Lock after working with their customer support.  

Apparently the deadbolt was unable to fully extend because it occasionally hit a metal piece on the interior of the door frame.  After a significant delay (30 seconds?) the lock would start to beep indicating that there was an error. Because of this error, the lock could not be unlocked from the outside using the keypad or from the inside using the knob.  The keypad would eventually work because the attempts to open the door after entering my code would jiggle the deadbolt and allow it to fully extend.  This took about 15 minutes of troubleshooting on the phone with their tech support, but the tech seemed to know pretty quickly what the most likely issue was.

To be continued...

I've heard of this issue when researching some smart locks.  A few reviews recommended getting a lock that had a tapered deadbolt and for it to be strong enough to pull the door in that extra bit if needed for situations like that.  I notice on my front door when its hot out it expands a bit and I have to push it in a little more to catch.  But when its cold all is good.

• Thanks 1

ETBrown    0
ETBrown
10 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

I've heard of this issue when researching some smart locks.  A few reviews recommended getting a lock that had a tapered deadbolt and for it to be strong enough to pull the door in that extra bit if needed for situations like that.  I notice on my front door when its hot out it expands a bit and I have to push it in a little more to catch.  But when its cold all is good.

The Yale deadbolt is tapered in the horizontal (i.e. for tight closing doors), but not the vertical (i.e. not square/sagging doors).  

My issue was due to a reinforcing metal bracket at the bottom of the deadbolt hole between the door frame and the rough opening (not the deadbolt strike plate).  This wasn't an issue with my previous deadbolt, but the door sags just enough that sometimes the deadbolt hit this internal plate before fully extending.  Since the knob rotated so far, and the audible feedback was so delayed, I hadn't realized that there was an issue with the deadbolt extending.

The lock has been operating smoothly since applying some "manual persuasion" to the metal plate to make the small adjustment that was necessary.

JROrtiz    23
JROrtiz

I have a Schlage Connect which is their Z-Wave lock and connect through a Wink hub. Easy setup, reliable, and great automation options such as auto lock, tamper detection, and even a built in siren.