Dave

Automated Locks Question for you

Dave    277
Dave

Hey All,

I got a question from a listener to do a locks episode (on RESET Podcast) and I have some personal experience gathered up in my notes but had another idea that I would like to try.

Tell me what locks you have and what you like and dislike about them. I'll share it on the podcast. Also, what platform, how the interaction with other automation items, etc.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.

PCEddie    7
PCEddie

Great idea for a podcast episode. I have been interested automated door locks but never could decide if it was worth the upgrade.

www.pceddienc.com

yodafett    96
yodafett

I have 2 schlage with auto lock functionality.  Love them both. 

• Like 1

schoondoggy    588
schoondoggy

Both of my Schlage are Z-wave and I use Smartthings:

Smartthings has added a lot of integration around locks. I need to revisit the automation around my locks:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-universal-enhanced-z-wave-lock-schlage-lock-yale-lock-kwikset-lock-idlock-and-danalock-device-handler-with-alarm-control-notification-rfid-door-sensor-and-advanced-features/6241?source_topic_id=77304

Dave    277
Dave

I do too Schoon. Mine is a Z-Wave Schlage and I am using Rboy apps for SmartThings on it.

Sent from my Pixel using RESET Forums mobile app.

Jason    56
Jason

Am using an Insteon Hub. May add zwave support to it and do locks in future. Haven't had a need for them. Yet .

yodafett    96
yodafett

ZWave using SmartThings.   Use the schlage system at work originally then converted to SmartThings for it.   (Work alerts if 2 storage closets are opened at nights/weekends. 

ETBrown    0
ETBrown

I've installed several different smart locks for a friend's short-term rental business.  All of them utilized a SmartThings hub and the Rboyapps User Management App and enhanced Z-wave lock device handler.

Most of the deadbolt locks are Schlage Z-wave Connects (BE469), but one property has a Schlage Z-wave Keypad Lever (FE599NX).  Once a powered Z-wave device (either a switch, outlet, or plug) was placed near the entry door, there was little problem with communication.  Without a nearby repeater, the locks tended to drop of the network when batteries got a little low.  Schlage hasn't updated these locks to Z-wave Plus, which should help with range and battery use.

Recently I picked up a Yale Assure Lock (YRD446) and ordered the new Z-wave Plus wireless module.  It looks nice and I like that the wireless protocol is an interchangeable module than can be purchased from Yale without replacing the entire lock.  The downside is that the "Twist and Go" feature of the Yale App is completely unintuitive; unlock the door by taking out your phone, open the app, rotate your phone down and back up, and tap the "check" mark to unlock?  If I have to open the app, why can't I just tap on the key to lock/unlock the door?  Taping on the key opens a settings menu that has no lock/unlock button :angry:  Further, I've often had to make several attempts to enter my code because the touchscreen AND the lock motor sometimes remains engaged after the deadbolt is extended which makes it impossible to open the lock with the interior lever.  Hopefully this is just a problem with my particular unit and not with the device handler or a broader problem with the Yale locks.

ETBrown    0
ETBrown

An update on my Yale Lock after working with their customer support.  

Apparently the deadbolt was unable to fully extend because it occasionally hit a metal piece on the interior of the door frame.  After a significant delay (30 seconds?) the lock would start to beep indicating that there was an error. Because of this error, the lock could not be unlocked from the outside using the keypad or from the inside using the knob.  The keypad would eventually work because the attempts to open the door after entering my code would jiggle the deadbolt and allow it to fully extend.  This took about 15 minutes of troubleshooting on the phone with their tech support, but the tech seemed to know pretty quickly what the most likely issue was.

To be continued...