RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any way to get Windows 7 to boot up faster?

BobCrabtree

Apologies if this has been asked before (but I did look and search here before posting and found nothing).

Is there any way to get Windows 7 to boot up faster?

This is using a G8 booting from a medium-speed (380MB/s write;  520MB/s read) SSD. The only other drive currently in place is an optical.

Seems to me that the delay in booting isn't anything to do with the drive or the OS, but to do with all the server-related initialising and checking that goes on as the machine starts up.

Never had any such issues with previous HP Mini Servers -  all Turion II N40L models; so is it the case that the enhancements with the G8 make the slower booting up unavoidable?

TIA

Bob

Edited by BobCrabtree
Typo

from a checklist point of view you could look at what all is starting up at boot time, and from a tools point of view I believe there is some type of tool that logs your startup activities for further analysis.

I am assuming you have already benchmarked your SSD and verified you are not getting I/O errors from it. I once put in a new SSD that showed 18,000 soft errors during the time of reboot, of course that one went back ASAP...

The Gen8 will take a lot more time to boot compared to the N40l. During boot, before the OS loads, the Gen8 initializes and test all of the sensors 'Sea of Sensors', storage controller B120i or AHCI initializes, iLo loads. Each of these items takes time to process. As far as I know there is no way to speed up pre-OS load boot time.

schoondoggy,

Even though this was the answer I was expecting, many thanks, nonetheless for the speedy response.

7 hours ago, nrf said:

from a checklist point of view you could look at what all is starting up at boot time, and from a tools point of view I believe there is some type of tool that logs your startup activities for further analysis.

I am assuming you have already benchmarked your SSD and verified you are not getting I/O errors from it. I once put in a new SSD that showed 18,000 soft errors during the time of reboot, of course that one went back ASAP...

No, as schoondoggy mentions, it's all the other stuff that is the problem - you can see it singing and dancing for ages way before Windows gets a chance to run. As for the SSD, once Windows begins booting, the desktop arrives in double-quick time.