Dave

2017 Eclipse Coverage and Photos

Dave    277
Dave

I just talked with Richard Hay, from Super Site for Windows, and we chatted about the upcoming eclipse.  I wanted to share some info with you about that conversation as well as see how you are preparing for the viewing.  I've got some resources that Rich shared with me that I think you will want to see prior to eclipse day.

Are you traveling?

How are you viewing?

How are you documenting?

I'm thinking about pulling my kids out of school so they can witness it safely. I haven't talked to the schools yet about their plans.  I was assuming something would come home in their backpack soon.  I have glasses for them though.

I also plan on putting the drone in the air to get a good shot of the landscape as it darkens during the middle of the day.  How cool is that going to be?

Listen to Rich and I talk eclipse here - http://reset.fm/29

Great American Eclipse - TONS of info here

Can you cover a camera with Eclipse glasses?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR PHOTOS!

Also, share your stories. What a great chance we have to share our different perspectives of this once in a lifetime event.

Dave    277
Dave

I found another link to an article I have saved.

The Amateur's Ultimate Guide to Photographing the Solar Eclipse

Amazon Solo Filters for Cameras - http://amzn.to/2vBnfHS

NASA Official Safety Guide - https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety?

Car Safety
Planning to Drive the Eclipse(link is external)
https://www.ready.gov/car

This graphic sums it up quickly. Safe or not?

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 3.42.43 PM.png

nrf    94
nrf

I didn't read the links above but I have heard that there are issues with simulating the exact width of the totality zone because the 'size' of the sun seems to vary depending on what part of the spectrum you look at.

Dave    277
Dave

I'm debating whether or not to pull my kids out for a 1/2 day.  The school is going to provide glasses for a small fraction of the eclipse but they are not having the kids outside for a majority of it.  I get it, tons of kids, tons of risk.  I think they should be outside for all of it though.  I"m talking lawn chair in the front yard kind of thing!

jcollison    13
jcollison

Here at Gallup we are getting ready for Monday!  

20799557_10213816810762500_2398047867193848249_n.jpg

Dave    277
Dave

How was your experience?  I have an excerpt from Annie Dillard's "Total Eclipse," a nonfiction description of an eclipse.

I had seen a partial eclipse in 1970. A partial eclipse is very interesting. It bears almost no relation to a total eclipse. Seeing a partial eclipse bears the same relation to seeing a total eclipse as kissing a man does to marrying him, or as flying in an airplane does to falling out of an airplane. Although the one experience precedes the other, it in no way prepares you for it. During a partial eclipse the sky does not darken—not even when 94 percent of the sun is hidden. Nor does the sun, seen colorless through protective devices, seem terribly strange. We have all seen a sliver of light in the sky; we have all seen the crescent moon by day. However, during a partial eclipse the air does indeed get cold, precisely as if someone were standing between you and the fire. And blackbirds do fly back to their roosts. I had seen a partial eclipse before, and here was another.

up7500    12
up7500

Most of what we got was just the darkness.  Too cloudy to see much of anything.