RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3 vs I3 Processor

logeox

Am I missing something?  Im consistently finding I3 Microserver Gen8 cheaper than the E3 version.  Yet I see that the benchmarks on the I3 put it ahead of the E3?

I purchased my MicroServer Gen8 w/ the i3 a few months back for this very reason. Kind of surprised me too especially after comparing benchmarks of both chips. 

32 minutes ago, geonerdist said:

I purchased my MicroServer Gen8 w/ the i3 a few months back for this very reason. Kind of surprised me too especially after comparing benchmarks of both chips. 

Would you say you've been happy with it?

Theres not much wrong with moving to the i3, I did it before I started to lose all sense and spend loads on my server lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, logeox said:

Would you say you've been happy with it?

I'm happy with it. I am currently troubleshooting some slow write speeds with unRAID...but I'm certain it's not a CPU bottleneck, probably the 5400RPM WD Reds. This server is my first experience with server grade hardware, so I have little to compare it to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Frequency > cores. The I3 is faster but not better in multi-user server use cases. In home use or family use it's ok, in SMB use will most probably become a choke.